4 blade cupped for 60 4 stroke merc

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sporty

Reaction score
I presently have the stock 3 blade prop for my 60 4 stroke merc.
I have trim but would like a better hole shot.
Some say that going to a 4 blade cupped blade will give me a better hole shot , easier steering and maybe more speed ..
Is this so ??? and what do you think ???
thanks..

Quackrstackr said:
Hole shot will improve but you will lose top end speed with a 4 blade prop.

You are correct. I have gone to 4 blade props on all my fiberglass boats to get the hole shot in shallow water and I lost a few MPH 1 - 3 mph. You will also notice your boat ride better in a chop, It's like adding weight without actually adding it.

Yes, cupped props grab the water better and you get less prop slipage which ='s better hole shot. Have you ever had a prop blow out when you got down on the throttle? This helps eliminate it by grabbing water instead of air which is blowout.

Thanks ... but will increase or decrease overall speed ???
I should have mentioned that the motor is an efi , if that makes a difference ... As well they say ( manufacture ) that you get better handling ????

The only way to increace speed is to change pitch of the prop. I haven't seen a 4 blade not slow a motor down a few MPH. You mainly see cupped props on shallow running boats that have the jack plate raised high and the cup helps prevent the blow outs. I have a 225 EFI on a very heavy boat and the 4 blade prop helped me get on plain about 6 seconds faster, better ride (holds the bow down better in a chop, and I lost only 3 mph. Loosing 3MPH doesn't bother me, I would rather advantages of a 4 blade. On a lighter bay boat, I only lost 1 MPH.

What kind of boat do you have and what is your performance now?

I'm in a "boater friendly" area and there are guys around here that will meet you at the dock with a duffle bag full of props. They run your boat with your prop, then try several till they find the best one taking into consideration your RPMS. Usually if you buy a prop from them, they do this at no charge.

I was posting this when you replied again. It might slow your RPM's a little. If you are hitting your max RPM's, I would try 1 size bigger pitched prop. I've found that you decrease your RPM's approx. 150-200 RPM's for every size you go up. This veries a lot depending on your conditions.

I'm running a 16' tracker aluminium super guide.
I run at max 6000 rpm. I was thinking of the 4 blade cupped prop. You suggest a pitch change on a 3 blade ??

I would ask your dealer or friends if you could borrow or buy one if they will let you return it. What are you trying to acomplish (more speed, faster hole shot, etc)? Every motor has a sweet spot and if you can hit your max RPM's easily, I would suggest trying a bigger prop. If your looking for speed, try a larger pitch 3 blade. If your after holeshot, try a 4 blade. I've found that It took trying several different props before I found one that "fit" my need. Also, i've found that one brands props out perform out performs other brands even though they are the same pitch. Mercury makes great props and I even had one on a Yamaha.

Hope I helped.

Thanks... I guess I'm more concerned about hole shot . If I'm by myself , no problem , I max at 6000 rpm at do about 30-32 mph dependent on conditions . Put more in the boat plaining takes a lot longer . If I lose 1 or 2 mph , I don't think I would be to concerned .
Thanks for the offer of prop guys helping in your area .
I'm up in Saskatchewan / Canada .. So that may pose a small problem :lol:
I get sucked in by advertisement claims .... better hole shot / better handling and increased speed with the 4 blade cupped prop.
That's why I value asking questions on this site .
Great guys sharing their knowledge .
Thanks again =D> =D> =D>

Can you still hit max rpm with a load?

Like Specknreds said, there is a huge difference in performance and handling between manufacturers even if the pitch and size are the same.

The boat in my sig came with a Solaris 19p prop. The thing took off and handled like a race car but it would hit max rpm in a heartbeat even with a full load. That prop would literally pack the entire boat out of the water at WOT (it was pretty scary, actually). I wound up swapping with the dealer for a 21p Mercury Laser II that was a bit larger in diameter as well. It knocked my rpms down into a more acceptable range (still a little high unless heavily loaded) and the hole shot is okay. I even had to put the solid vent plugs in it because I didn't need any slip. I picked up about 3mph on the top end but the boat doesn't carry itself anything like it did with the first prop. This prop has much less lift than the original prop and feels like it has less cup.

I liked the way that the boat handled and performed much better with the first prop but the 19p was as big as they went for my motor.

As far as reaching full rpm at full load ,I never had a real chance to try it out .. What make of prop may you suggest ?? more money better quality ?? I really don't want to put out big bucks for a stainless...

sporty said:
As far as reaching full rpm at full load ,I never had a real chance to try it out .. What make of prop may you suggest ?? more money better quality ?? I really don't want to put out big bucks for a stainless...

I can't help you much there. All of my research and tinkering have been with stainless for this boat. A stainless outperforms aluminum of the same size simply because of the flex in aluminum. More money just means more advertising many times. I'm sure there are great props out there that won't break the bank.

So far as price, you would be hard pressed to find better prices than this place has (at least on stainless from when I was looking): https://dansdiscountprops.com/

Are you running lakes or rivers wit a lot of rocks?
If you are in lakes I would suggest going with a stainless prop
It will help your hole shot rate away like Quackrstrackr said the flex in the alumumin prop Sux.
I have a 3blade tempest prop on my Yamaha 225 and it is a fast prop I have a 4 blade as a spare that gives me a better hole shot
but i do lose a few mph.

Wayne

thanks guys .... I am on a lake ..Now I must remember that all I have is a fishing boat not a bass boat ..
I would like a better hole shot ... however the stainless up here are big bucks ... remember our dollar compared to yours really SUCKS..
I just may try the 4 blade cupped .. Any recommendations other than the Quicksilver ????

Thanks again guys =D> =D>