5.5 Evinrude Lower end question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven174us

Reaction score
I'm needing to replace the impeller on my 64' (I think) 5.5 Evinrude. I can not seem to get the lower unit off to access the water pump. I have the 4 bolts out. But it seems to be still hooked to something. I remember my old 65hp Mercury just sliding right off but this one won't.

Some have a 5th bolt that goes up from the bottom in the area behind the skeg you might look in this area, or is is partially loose and hanging from the shifter lever? If so you need to take the shift linkage loose, it is behind a access plate on the side of lower unit usually held in by 2 flat screws, then you have a screw that you have to just loosen some and then the linkage will come loose. Hope this helps.

Flintcreek.

Thank you, it is the shifter holding it. I didn't see anything about that in the manual. Unless I just overlooked it.
I was just gonna check behind that plate.

The plate has nothing behind it. I was looking at the manual again and it said there were different types. One type having the connector behind the plate. The other having to take the powerhead off to access the shifter connector. I will need to replace the shifter amp also do to mine being broke off so maybe that will be the option I need?

Latest posts