6 hprse motor question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsharp

Reaction score
ok guys i have a suzuki 6 horse motor on my 14 foot boat it runs great but will not plane the boat unless i move toward the front of the boat dont have to move much just a littel bit but then im to far awy to steer the motor or do the gear shift is there any way to solve this problem the only thing in the back of the boat is the 3 gallon gas can i already move the battery toward the front would a diffrent pitch prop help this and does any know where i can get one thanks alot

Do you have the battery all the way up front? You could also put the gas can up there. That would be another +/- 25lbs. It would make a huge difference.

You aren't going to be able to prop your way out of that. The problem isn't in the prop, but in weight distribution. It is often incredibly hard to get enough bow weight in these smaller aluminum tiller hulls, but that is your only option. Since there isn't much else you can put up there, take a run with some unessential items up there (ballast, basically), and see if you go faster on plane, even with the added weight. If so, just keep the ballast in the boat. If not, then there isn't much else that can be done.

I just read your post again. Do you always fish by yourself? I'm sure with a fishing partner on there the 6hp wouldn't have a chance to get the 14 footer on plane. Allthough the 6hp will plane the boat with just you sitting a little more forward, it may not be enough power to plane the boat with added weight of the ballast. Personally I would try moving the gas can up front.
If all else fails, you could always look out for a bigger motor... :D
:beer:

thanks for the replys guys most of the time i fish bymyself but my wife does go sometimes but she hasent gone out yet so far its just been me in the boat the batterry is in the middle seat and i thought about moving thegas tank forward but think im just going to forget about it and save my money and look for me a bigger motor

I do have one question tho that confusing i had a 14 foot tracker with a 5 hp briggn straton motor on it andd it plane out the boat fine but this 6 horse wont do it [-o<

jsharp said:
thanks for the replys guys most of the time i fish bymyself but my wife does go sometimes but she hasent gone out yet so far its just been me in the boat the batterry is in the middle seat and i thought about moving thegas tank forward but think im just going to forget about it and save my money and look for me a bigger motor

I do have one question tho that confusing i had a 14 foot tracker with a 5 hp briggn straton motor on it andd it plane out the boat fine but this 6 horse wont do it [-o<

Maybe you're not reaching the RPM operating range at WOT. You'll need a tach
to verify.

I think i found out the problem the cavitation palte is lower than the bottom of the baot think i need raise the motor up some and that will fix the problem