64 Evinrude 9.5 Sportwin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjamesforbes

Reaction score
So this motor has been sitting for years. The carb was supposed to had been rebuilt before Dad stored it for the past five years. I got it out and it will run for a short bit and die. Starts back up and will run a bit and die. After multiple times of this it just won't start again. I have changed the lower end oil and impeller. New fuel lines. New fuel pump. New 91 octane non ethanol gas mixed 50:1. I just read on another thread that these old motors should be running 16:1. I will read through the service manual tonight to clarify. This old motor has sentimental value and would like for it to run. Thanks guys any help is appreciated. I also have another cool old motor that has potential to run but we will get that later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a 64 motor is 24:1. 16:1 is only for pre 1957 motors...

I'd start with the carb.... get it off and clean it out....again... See if that gets it going.... if not it's on to spark....

WV1951 said:
Are you familiar with "Leeroy's Ramblings"? Lots of good info.

No I wasn't, wow he will answer any question I have as long as I read it all. Thank you

Shaugh said:
a 64 motor is 24:1. 16:1 is only for pre 1957 motors...

I'd start with the carb.... get it off and clean it out....again... See if that gets it going.... if not it's on to spark....

Ok so this I didn't know for a fact. I think this will solve my problems. Maybe lol. Hey with your statement there. Will a 1957 Johnson seahorse would run 16:1 correct?

Yes it will still run fine with 16:1. Better check the carb and hoses. No air leaks etc. 5 years is a long time.

Pappy said:
1964 is the first year for 50:1.
Having said that, your old warhorse would do much better on a bit heavier mixture.

Would 24:1 be a better mix?

0075dbf5492b01fbef85ee908278fb79.jpg

That ol Johnson ran great!!! I loved it. With just me (230#) in the 12' Lowe standing toward the center of the boat with a tiller extension I could run 18mph

It ran great on 24:1 with 87 octane. I tried 24:1 on 91 octane and it didn't idle worth a poo. With the 87 octane I ran about 18 gallons through it that week with out any problems. Thanks for the advice!