'71 Johnson 9.5 Lower unit issues?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearthewopr

Reaction score
Hi,

I am pretty new here, but I have a 71 Johnson 9.5. I know very little about troubleshooting outboard motors currently.

It starts and runs decently (Doesnt idle well, so, probably needs some carb work), but the problem is that it doesn't go anywhere.

What I know so far:
With the motor not running, the prop does not spin freely while in F or R. (It takes a little force to turn it). When I shift to N, it does spin freely.

I see the prop turn when I pull start it while in F, but once it's started, it's not turning.

There is water still being sucked up and splashing everywhere when running in water, which is why I thought everything was fine.

I'm not sure what to do next.
Can anyone help?

It also seems like normal earmuffs don't fit over the intake on this if anyone has ideas for that...

Attachments

• 20231001_081638.jpg
    20231001_081638.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 0
The prop shouldn't spin while In gear. Spinning the prop in gear will also turn the motor over. The motor also shouldn't start in gear only start in neutral and once running and idling well then shift it....firmly. That vintage outboard I'm not very familiar with to help much.

you may have s spun hub on the propeller. Pull it. Make a mark on the hub and a corresponding mark on the propeller. Put the prop back on. Pull your plug wires off so it will not start. Put it in gear and turn the propeller. Is the flywheel turning? If so put it back into neutral, put the wires back on and start it, let it run for a few seconds in the water then remove the propeller again and check your marks to see if they have moved. If so you have a spun hub.