68 Mirrocraft deep V 14’ floor build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work continues. I sealed the frame with old timers formula (OTF) today. I mixed up a gallon of OTF because I really didn’t know how much I would need. I’ve seen lots about OTF on this forum, but not much on coverage rates. For those interested, there are six 2x4’s worth of wood here (most of it split into 2x2s). This frame used a little over 1L. I put it on as heavy as I could and let it drip off (thank goodness for gravel driveways). Will let it dry a few days and then add a couple coats of spar varnish. I’ll save the rest of the OTF for the floor and the transom.

IMG_9733.jpeg

I also pulled out the old transom. See pictures below. Ok fine it definitely needs replacing, but it’s surprisingly solid. Especially if, indeed, the transom is as old as the boat (1968) which it very much could be. It came out very easy once all the bolts were out, it wasn’t glued to the metal in any way. I will correct that with the new one :)

IMG_9729.jpeg
IMG_9731.jpeg
IMG_9732.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting. I have the same boat, but my benches look a bit more robust. It is a few years newer. Have also been tossing around the idea of putting down a floor, but me and the grandson don't really have any issues walking it in. Most of the time we're sitting. What I don't like is having a tiller motor and all the weight in the back! I'm thinking it would be smarter to replace the boat with something with a side helm......if I can find one. If not I'll be doing some type of floor, but thinking more of a narrow flat walkway. I don't want to add a lot of weight to the boat if I don't have to.

I considered a lot of things: just replacing plywood under benches, making a walk through middle bench, etc. I got LOTS of great ideas on this forum. I still have the benches and can put back if I change my mind later. I’m starting with a floor as a foundation for other ideas… I plan on continuing to mod this boat in the future!

With the frame and floor I’ll be adding about 150 lbs. The boat can take it but I’ll have to see what impact it has on my motor.

A previous owner mounted an aluminum plate on the side of the bow (see first post) so I’m also going to move my tiller trolling motor up there this year. That will help balance out the weight a bit.

Well I don't know much to be honest, but an extra 150 lbs in a boat that weighs what 205? Seems like a whole lot of extra weight. That's about what my outboard and full gas tank weigh. These are such nice sturdy, clean, and simple boats that I'd hate to booger it up with a bunch of wood and alum plates.

Actually I've been eyeballing some rubber "pavers" I have left over from a job I did. They're about 16" square and weigh maybe a lb a piece. Thinking of attaching them to a strip of plywood and sliding it right down the center. Should make for better footing without adding much weight or cost.

150 might be exaggerating. 100 lbs is probably closer to the truth. Yes it’s some extra weight for sure, like driving around with an extra half of me in it all the time.

But I’m not trying to win races. We’ll see how it performs this year. I’m hoping the weight helps balance out actually, it’s pretty back heavy when I’m the only one in the boat.

Your rubber pavers sound like a good solution for tire needs! Let me know how it turns out.

I'm looking to upgrade my boat, but if I don't a hydrofoil is going on the motor. I'm really sour on tiller boats right now though. Just seems unnatural to me and uncomfortable to operate it in this manner. I can't seem to find a side helm tinny for the life of me.

I agree, my bad shoulders do not like tillers!! Side consoles are the perfect fit for me, bought one last year, extremely comfortable and the way the boat is layed out, it balances perfectly for one or two people. You could fab your own or there are some universal fit side consoles to add to your boat. Scarce to find, yes, especially a nice one!! I spent over 3 months searching then drove 200 miles to look at mine. Good luck

I agree, my bad shoulders do not like tillers!! Side consoles are the perfect fit for me, bought one last year, extremely comfortable and the way the boat is layed out, it balances perfectly for one or two people. You could fab your own or there are some universal fit side consoles to add to your boat. Scarce to find, yes, especially a nice one!! I spent over 3 months searching then drove 200 miles to look at mine. Good luck

Agree. Side consoles are great compromise for more comfort without sacrificing too much space. They give a place to mount gauges & fish finders.

It’s been a busy couple of weeks so my boat work has been limited, until today. I finished sealing the frame with OTF and 2 coats spar, then started cutting my foam pieces. I have EPS foam which melts in gasoline, so to avoid that happening I’ve wrapped each piece in plastic shrink wrap (got that tip from someone else on here), and taped the edges. It was a bit of work but worth it for several reasons. 1) won’t melt in accidental gasoline spill, 2) keeps foam dry, preventing water-logging, 3) traps air thus providing a bit extra flotation, and 4) traps those annoying little foam pellets. The foam pieces fit inside the frame, which is drying in the sun in this photo.

IMG_9745.jpeg

Yesterday I glued the new transom, and test fit this morning. If I had a taller motor I’d leave it this high, but I don’t and it’s not in the budget.

IMG_9767.jpeg

So instead I cut out the cut-out, drilled holes where needed for fasteners, and applied OTF. Used 1-2 cups worth of OTF for just this. It’s currently drying and will get spar later this week.

IMG_9774.jpeg

Finally it’s floor time! Used some foam board I had to make templates and cut plywood to size. Test fit the pieces and they are currently waiting for OTF - tomorrow’s job. I’m very happy with how the floor looks and feels - can’t wait to fish out of this!

IMG_9772.jpegIMG_9771.jpeg

How are you going to seal the edges so crap doesn't end up under the floor? Not trying to rain on your parade, just curious. Think I'll stick with no floor or something much simpler. Something I can easily take out when I need to.

How are you going to seal the edges so crap doesn't end up under the floor? Not trying to rain on your parade, just curious. Think I'll stick with no floor or something much simpler. Something I can easily take out when I need to.
That should be a concern...been there done that, no matter how hard you try....something will slide thru a crack and you will need it back. Kinda like my keys to the Jeep so I can get home !! Never thought they would fit in that tiny crack!!

That should be a concern...been there done that, no matter how hard you try....something will slide thru a crack and you will need it back. Kinda like my keys to the Jeep so I can get home !! Never thought they would fit in that tiny crack!!
I cut the floor fairly tight fitting. A wide bead of caulk will be enough to seal it up in most places. If I have wider gaps I’ll use weather stripping plus caulk.

Better come up with a better plan. Caulk will be ugly and it won't stay put. Honestly you could have cut that wood tighter. Maybe go over it with vinyl and cut that EXACTLY flush. It can be done.

Better come up with a better plan. Caulk will be ugly and it won't stay put. Honestly you could have cut that wood tighter. Maybe go over it with vinyl and cut that EXACTLY flush. It can be done.
I appreciate the intent of your comment. My goal is to get a working finished floor in the next 3 weeks. Beautification can be done later.

Quick update: been doing a lot of varnishing and painting to seal up floor and get ready for install. Hoping to install this weekend. Going with a paint-and-sand topcoat rather than vinyl as I can’t afford the $2-300 that vinyl will cost me. A can of porch paint was $30. Thanks to thill for the great how-to (Best place to buy vinyl flooring?) Bottom side of floor has been sealed with OTF and 2 coats of spar varnish.

IMG_9823.jpeg

Roll on your floor paint with a course roller, it will add just a little texture to help with traction and help cover any imperfections. Years back did a sand/ paint floor job. Ended up rolling on first coat, use a sieve to spread the sand, let it almost dry then rolled on another coat of paint, a little thinner this time, it really helped hold the sand. Just a suggestion from my experiences.

Roll on your floor paint with a course roller, it will add just a little texture to help with traction and help cover any imperfections. Years back did a sand/ paint floor job. Ended up rolling on first coat, use a sieve to spread the sand, let it almost dry then rolled on another coat of paint, a little thinner this time, it really helped hold the sand. Just a suggestion from my experiences.
Great tip. Sand is already on in the picture above. It’s almost dry now, will go roll a second coat now.