6hp Yamaha

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsouce411

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is probably going to sound like a very novice question... but here goes. I recently purchased a Yamaha 6 hp 2 stroke outboard. The model is a 6 mshy (manual ign, short shaft, handle, year 2000).

Pics:

6d7b_1.JPG

6e7c_1.JPG

I'm looking at hooking it up to a G3 1236 Jon. The boat will have a light to moderate load in it (maybe 250 lbs, 300 at MOST). I'm just trying to get an idea of how fast the 6 horse will push me.

I'm hoping to get at least 10mph out of her, maybe 15. Does this sound doable, or am I dreaming?

Thanks

Well im not familiar with that boat, is it 12 feet long? If so i would say the 6hp would do fairly well. I think a 9.9 would be a better choice just to get as much as you can out of your boat. I have a 6hp on my 15ft with decks, livewell, and seats. I think i can run faster than it will push me.

It will be okay with a bare boat and people, but if you deck it, or anything i would look to go bigger.

ilinimud said:
Well im not familiar with that boat, is it 12 feet long? If so i would say the 6hp would do fairly well. I think a 9.9 would be a better choice just to get as much as you can out of your boat. I have a 6hp on my 15ft with decks, livewell, and seats. I think i can run faster than it will push me.

It will be okay with a bare boat and people, but if you deck it, or anything i would look to go bigger.

Yes, it's a 12 foot, 36 inch wide hull.

LOL, I guess i should have known, you did post: G3 1236 Jon

I think you would be good with that motor, but it sounds very reasonable to trade up for a 9.9 or 15.

thats a good motor you got. your not gonna be screaming down the lake, but you'll go fast enough to get you there. i think you should do 10 mph easy. and when you decide to go bigger, sell that sucker to me :mrgreen:

my old 7.5 push's me and my gf with boat loaded around 17mph, but i dont have decks, just gear, tm, batts, and beer cooler

Loggerhead Mike said:
my old 7.5 push's me and my gf with boat loaded around 17mph, but i dont have decks, just gear, tm, batts, and beer cooler
I am finding that hard to believe. Was that a speedo, or GPS reading?

I highly doubt you will get even 10. Highly doubt. Close, very likely. Reach it, doubt it.

Latest posts