'78 Merc 90 HP - Good Motors?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaqueRatt

Reaction score
Found another tinny I really like. Has this motor hanging off the back. Owner says it runs good in the barrel, but falls on it's face on the lake. Says it started with a fuel leak in one of the carbs. Afterwards it never would run right again. Mentioned he needs to check compression. Should I grab it or run? I'm thinking run maybe.

Had a friend with a 75 from the same era, don't know if it was the same power head or not, but his got replaced twice in 3 years before he sold it. This would have been a 77-78 unit.

Depends on how much patience and work you want to put into getting it running !! And of course the price !! I have always bought used...but I expect them to be in near perfect running condition ! Yes I do pay more, but...have far less time working on them. Whenever I sell, I make sure everything is in good working order, I find it embarrassing when my toys don't work right when someone comes to look at them...

Seems like too much motor for a tinny. Even if running well I'd probably pass unless you just want the motor and have something more suitable laying around to hang on it. Just picked up a Merc 75 that hasn't been run in 6 mos. Was hoping to get it running today, but of course it's raining......again.