86 Bass Tracker MV16

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorched

Reaction score
I think I mentioned my build awhile back...just getting around to posting.
Typically, I'm not much for posting this kind of stuff, I've always looked at it as bragging and I'm not much for that, BUT, I realized how much everyone else's builds helped ME with inspiration, ideas and even explanations...so THANK YOU Tin boats and fellow members. I am forever indebted, Now on to my build...
Long story short...
I wanted to fish where I wanted to and not be limited to bank fishing. I decided to buy a fishing boat.
General personality traits ((I believe shared by most here....)
#1, I'm cheap
#2, I want things my way as cheap as possible
Did I mention, I've never owned a boat of any kind? Not. One.

So, I went on the hunt. i Decided I wanted a modified V, I wanted a console steer, I wanted a fixer upper.
I looked at a few but they just weren't quite what I wanted.
Luckily after about a month, I found one not too far away from me...went to look at it with cash in hand. The boat fit all my requirements and seemed in OK shape upon initial inspection. I negotiated a price and towed it away for $800.00 cash including a trailer, good running outboard and all the stuff that tends to come with an old boat (but you throw away).

The day I bought it (actually in the guys back yard)
null-9.jpg

null-10.jpg

After getting it home, I immediately dove in to this site to find out what I needed to look for, address and handle first...my initial thought was to simply replace decking, it was obviously soft. Upon removing the decking,the foam was water logged and moldy.
Here's a pic of it stripped...similar to most we all see

null-12.jpg

So, now that the interior was all stripped, I started sourcing materials and settling on an interior design. I decided not to stray to far away from the original design but "enhance" it a bit.
In the mean time, I peeled all the decals from the exterior to start fresh...

I replaced the foam in the floor but decided to turn the other areas into storage. The water I'll be in will be fairly shallow so, I wasn't to worried about swamped buoyancy....we'll see, I might add in more later.

null-15.jpg

I will be fishing mainly with my wife. She didn't want a high casting deck in the rear so I wanted to keep it low for her in back.
There was initially no enclosed battery/fuel compartment so I wanted to add one. I also wanted to put in some reinforcements for the front deck and hinge all the doors with latches.
Of course new wiring switches and a color change were due but FIRST, there were a lot of leaking rivets (which I fixed with info gathered here THANKS!) and this back under the battery

null-13.jpg

Yup, the battery had leaked acid and it had burnt through the hull. I didn't expect that and certainly didn't look for it...off to a local fabrication shop.
They cut out and welded in a new piece of aluminum and welded up quite a few cracks in the hull that were leaking....$125.00. I was ok with that :). No leaks now.

On to the interior. I ordered some 1x1x1/8 aluminum for some structure reinforcement (sourced through an ebay link found here on tin boats) and used it liberally where I felt it was needed for the front casting deck, new hinge and latch areas, and the battery box. It also came in handy to re-engineer the console mount and what not.

null-16.jpg

For some of the finish panels, I used some diamond plate (front sticker area and trolling motor plug plate). You can see it in a few of the pics.

I didn't want a bunch of rusted anything in the boat so I utilized all stainless hard ware/aluminum rivets. FOR THOSE CONSIDERING A BUILD. If you use stainless hardware, it is a huge expense. I seriously estimate I have between $200-$400 in hardware alone, probably more...I purposely did not keep track. (screws, nuts bolts, rivets, hinges and the like...) Hinges were sourced through Grainger, latches through iBoats, hard ware was local, I bought exactly what I needed as I needed it. I was fortunate, all the Sealer (5200) and glue I found fairly close to home

For the interior, I used 1/2 inch exterior plywood, sealed both sides with exterior paint (mis-tint from the hardware store, $3.00). I decided to use a thin carpet (4 in door/out door 7x11 pieces on clearance for $11.00 each) for the decking...for adhesive I used my tried and true go to glue, laminate adhesive. I spray it and the stuff is awesome. Used right, it will never fail (been using this stuff in harsh environments for 20 years. (5 gallon is $110.00 + tax)
A few more pics....interior carpet in process

null-20.jpg

null-25.jpg

null-24.jpg

null-14.jpg

I didn't care for the upper console mount. The existing fiberglass reinforced ABS upper was cracked, flimsy and weak. I came up with a different way of mounting it that solidified things AND made it easier to remove if needed. The new fuse box is actually attached to the upper console so, to remove it, I just unplug it where it enters the side panel, drill the rivets out and lift the top right off of the bottom...(easier in my mind at least..)

null-23.jpg

null-22.jpg

null-21.jpg

Here's also a few pics of some of the interior panels in process...

null-17.jpg

null-18.jpg

null-19.jpg

Sooooo.
I know this is all going fast but I actually worked on it over the winter. Majority of the reconstruction work was done over a few weeks early this spring.
I've got a few things to finish up before dropping her in the water but not much.

Here's some almost finished pics....

null.jpg

null-1.jpg

null-3.jpg

null-4.jpg

null-5.jpg

I do have additional pics if any one wants anything specific...

Additional info on the build:
2 Battery trays for the type 27 batterys. (No more acid holes)
Dual battery switch
Dual bank on board charger
Quick power Plug for the foot controlled trolling motor. There are six runs of 10gauge running front to rear (some currently used and extras can be used in multiple configurations.)
Front and rear cig lighter plugs (for acc)
(3) Fishing pole holders (front home made)
Accessory Fuse box in the battery compartment.
2 functioning live wells
2 sump pumps wired for auto and/or auto operation
Garmin 500c fish finder with front and rear mounted sensors and 2 mount brackets (one front, one at console)
And who knows what else....
It's been fun. I'll post FINAL photos when she's wrapped up

Thanks - this has really been fun.
I've been working on cars all my life...built some customers, race cars, show cars etc...actually into motorcycles now but building the boat has been more enjoyable...maybe 'cause it's a new challenge, maybe because it's open. I'm getting anxious to drop it in the water. Everything else is now finished on the boat itself. I'm having some new graphics made for the side and I still need to tackle the motor impeller and the trailer...
Pics to come.

Nice work. Looks great! I just started my 87 bass tracker 16 mv mod to a center forward console. hope it turns out as nice as yours did.

WOW YOURS HAS A WINDSHIELD! Check out my build, I like what you did with it! finally I found someone who did a build on my exact boat! Thanks bud!

What did you use to get the triangle sticker off in the front, I like the diamond plate, and I like how you just left the seat level with the floor in the back instead of making a back casting deck.

I hit the front sticker with a heat gun and it peeled right off. I used acetone to get the adhesive off.

The heat gun took the decal right off of the console too.
I commented on your build last year...you were digging into yours right before I started mine.

Just finished up my trailer, NOW I need to take the time to drop it in the water. It's amazing how life gets in the way.

Why did you opt to not put in a back deck? When you received yours it was probably in a heck of a lot better shape thenine. You got foam back in the transom area, mine it was tooken out.I'll buy your windshield off ya lol.

The rear is going to be the wife's area...she wasn't comfortable sitting high....

Mine also never had a tall rear deck to start with...at least when I got it it didn't.

I don't know if mine was in better shape or not, it had holes burnt through it from battery acid, cracks similar to yours in the supports and 6 cracks in the hull.
I replaced over 100 rivets in the hull and used another 300 putting it all together. My first water test, it looked like it was raining under the boat....

I riveted almost everything else together instead of using screws to attach as well...I've become quite fond of rivets.

Yours looks pretty sweet too... Nice work. Mine is now a river machine. Cant wait for Sept this year. Salmon fishin is gonna be great! FISH ON!

Latest posts