'88 16ft V mod. muskiecraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, Time for some updates.

First my youngest son decided he would help by stapling two scraps of pink foam together.
IMG_0663.jpg

Side compartment built behind the battery storage. I can keep 6 boxes in the two areas. I am going to pick up a few of these big boxes that are 1/2 height as these for the other box. Some of my musky lures are HUGE but flat so they don't need to be in such tall boxes. On top is going to be my switches and radio and my fishfinder will mount on top of that. The top box is going to be the wire distribution central.

The storage boxes are painted with Rustoleum epoxy.

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

On the other side I am framing out a smaller storage area for smaller plano boxes. I can stick seven of them in here. I probably will do 4 or 5 of them then my one tupperware container full of berkley gulp baits and a hookout and such things.

IMG_0667.jpg

I am planning next to tear apart my battery boxes. They are not quite square enough for me so I am going to redo them.

Back up front where I am going to have a storage compartment. I had two cans of Rustoleum spray on bedliner on my shelf. I am tossing anchors in this compartment so I decided to coat it with the bedliner. I didn't like the black so I gave it the Pollok treatment with the gray epoxy. I will proabably do the same with whatever colors paint I decide to use on the exterior and interior. give this front storage area a nice ugly treatment. ;)

IMG_0682.jpg

danmyersmn said:
I didn't like the black so I gave it the Pollok treatment with the gray epoxy.
:lol: :lol:

Lookin' good, man. Keep the pictures coming.

How much of the bedliner did it take to cover that section?

spent the day tearing apart the battery boxes and redoing them. I finished framing them but did not cut new aluminum faces for them so I don't have much of anything for photos. I am much happier with how they are looking now. They where only off square by about 1/2" but it was enough that it was painful for me to look at.

OK, two days of work and I have some more pics and some real progress.

I finished all the framing. I am done cutting this darn Aluminum angle. I think ;)

Ok, so back a few posts I painted my front storage area with truckbed liner. Well the more I looked at it the more I disliked it. In fact it was annoying me. It did not blend with the rest of the boat and it was time to go. I spent a few hours sanding it all off.

I then sprayed it with Rustoleum industrial. The color is Almond and It should be a very close match to what I plan to paint the inside of the boat-above the decking. I use rattle can for all the areas that will be below hatches to give it a uniform color.

IMG_0728.jpg

Here is the area under the rod storage hatch. Most of this area will be filled with fishing poles so this is just a background color strictly for appearance sake. You can also see where I had to cut out an extra section I had running starboard-to-port. It looks to be sticking out here but how I plan to frame it with wood for the rod locker storage hatch all of this aluminum should be well hidden.

You can also see the new battery boxes. I added a diagonal support to help keep it square. I used PL and glued the back side of all the corners where I have pop-rivets. When I put the aluminum facing on I am going to grind off all the rivet heads first. The PL will hold the framing in place until the aluminum sheeting is riveted on.

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

Rear casting deck is framed out. The rear seat will be mounted in this corner. The will be able to be added/removed from a hatch on top of the platform. Thus why it got a coat of almond paint. If I can see it when this project is done then painted it will be ;)

Here is the battery and gas tank platforms. I drilled some holes in it in case any water found its way onto the platform.

IMG_0723.jpg

I use PL to glue pink foam in place to form walls on both sides of the rear casting deck. I am going to fill the void between the boat wall and pink foam with A/B foam. This will bond with the pink but also the pink will keep it in place and from expanding into areas I don't want it.

IMG_0725.jpg

Here are a few longer shots.

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

Next I am going to do all the vertical faces with sheet aluminum then I can prep all the areas above the decking for paint. I am planning to use rust-oleum brush on oil-based paint to do the interior. I am extremely pleased with how it went into my tackle compartments and I think it will hold up to abuse well. I also should be able to get it in almost identical color as what I spraybombed already. Its the same branding but since its brush on oil based instead of spray bomb it might be a slight different shade. Close enough since both areas will be separated by the decking.

Nothing to report, just feeling "fish-sick" kind of like being home sick but I am missing fishing not my home.

So, here is a pic. I "may" have been ummmmm "consuming" on this day. ;)

Lake Michigan out of Algoma Wi.
fishie.jpg

Wow not far from me in Green Bay. Had to be awhile ago as you'd be in a Parka these days. Being a Muskie Guy you should be on the Bay of Green Bay catching 50+inchers!!!! I can't wait to see your finished product. You boat looks HUGE in the pics and love tackle box trays.

Yep, it was back in early mid summer. I was dragged along on a charter so I didn't have much choice other then to drink, smoke cigars and wait for "fish on".

spent the day trying to get everything setup to lay down my A/B foam. I had the two cans of foam wrapped in a heating blanket on high all day. It was nice and warm waiting for me to start mixing but I didn't get everything done so I will have to shoot for tomorrow trying to get the foam in.

So today I started with finishing up some putting on some aluminium facing to hold back foam. You can also see the rod holder. I mounted up the rod holders. The front is riveted using aluminium angle to the floor angle supports. The back of them is just held in place using some pieces of pink foam and PL. The A/B foam will encase the tubes and hold them solid. EDIT: I have since revised this plan. I decided not to fill this void with A/B foam. I removed the pink foam and ran a second piece of aluminum angle across on top of these tubes and I fastened the tubes to that piece. /EDIT I am debating how I planned to do this now. The rod handles can extend out the back. I need to figure out how to keep the foam below the tubes. I didn't plan for that but will figure it out. You can also see the finished tackle storage. It will be painted the same grey as the one on the other side.

IMG_0749.jpg

Another shot, you can see the rod holder better and the aluminium facing is showing. The aluminium sheet had a white coating on it already. I am going to sand that and paint it the same color as the rest of the boat when its painted.
IMG_0748.jpg

Here is the front tubes for the rod holder. The little rod close is 4/ 6" and the one in the background is 7'. I think I can get probably get a 9 footer in. I painted the PVC pipes with Valspar plastic paint. Notice I already scratched it....grrrrr! I am going to touch up the scratches and see if it is more durable after it completely out gasses. Front is riveted to the floor and the back is held in places with pink plastic wedged. Again, the A/B foam will fill in around the tubes and lock them in place.

I also ran two 3/4" pvc pipes for my livewell. One will be for fill the other will be for drain.

IMG_0747.jpg

Ok, so one thing I have always been planning is to make my boat a "wet boat". What is a "wet boat" well I am taking the approach that everything is going to get wet and not try to keep everything dry but rather plan for how to get rid of the water. That is also why I am using aluminium angle instead of wood, using non-slip coating (or vinyl, I am back to thinking about vinyl again) instead of carpeting on the floor, etc. So, I kept looking at my transom and thinking about how to waterproof it.

So, I pulled it out to encase it with resin
IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

Also, I have had a chronic problem. My transom trolling motor would always hit my whale tails on my gas motor if I tried to use it with the motor down. I was not able to slide it over far enough because the transom top wasn't flat and if I slid it too far over to the side it would move and shift and get all funky and angled. I added a piece of wood to give a flat top for the trolling motor.

IMG_0753.jpg

I used PL to glue the piece to the transom and screwed it in place. Once the PL was setup I pulled the screws out and encased the entire thing in resin. I have lots of sanding to due I was pretty sloppy with the resin but it will all work out fine in the end.

IMG_0752.jpg

Looking good, thought I would introduce myself, Im just north of you up in Little Falls. I have a 14' Mirrocraft 1977 I just started and would like to use the alum not wood as I see most doing here. I have a few questions if you dont mind sharing, #1 Are you fastening yours with pop rivers or what? #2 what size and thickness "L" are you working with? and the last question you gonna have it done for 2010 opener??? Thanks

Welcome to the site boater, its a great place to hang out with good people and learn all the little ideas that others have done. I am using 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" angle. I am placing it 12" on-center and trying with no areas that are not supported down to the floor that have a greater span then 15". I haven't seen any other builds on this site that have used this small of angle so I might be pioneering or failing. Only time will tell I suppose.

I am planning to have it done by opener. I am only working on it on the weekends now. Soon I will be snowboarding every Saturday so that might be a problem. But, it will get done, I have no concerns about that.

I have a collection of pics that make one big mess!!!

First I finished the transom and installed it. The top aluminum cap and all the through bolts where glued with 5200 and all the bolts are stainless.

IMG_0762.jpg

I ran wires to all the locations that I plan to have speakers and lights and pumps...well most of them. I know now of one that I missed. Then I started installing foam. I also was able to cut the top off the foam where it expanded over the top of where my decking will go and tossed it into other voids as filler.

IMG_0767.jpg

Here you can see how I used pink foam walls to contain the foam and then filled the cavity with pieces of foam. and the poar foam bound it all together.
IMG_0769.jpg

I was thinking that I was going to have more A/B foam then I needed. It turned out I had a lot more space to fill then I thought. I ended up using an entire two gallons of the foam. I had my garage at 85 and the foam was about 100 so I think it was warm enough. I just don't think it expanded as much as I would of liked.

So, I was going to call it good enough but I decided to use some pink foam. I cut squares of pink and I used PL to glue it to the boat and then glue each piece on top of the one below it. Once the glue sets they will be locked in place. In total I used the 2 gallons of A/B. one full block of Styrofoam that was pulled out of one of the seats and 1 1/2 sheets of 1/2" pink foam 8' x 10' sheets. I am confident enough that I have enough flotation installed again should I need it.

You can see here how I used the foam to lock the rod tubes in place. I basically pored a mix over it a few times until it had expanded up enough to come through around the tubes.
IMG_0765.jpg

Well its a bad week for it then. I am absolutely disgusted with myself! I made a huge error last night and I don't know how I will repair it. I know I will repair it but until I get home from work and start looking at it more my ADD mind has me thinking of a dozen reasons why the boat is scrapped now.

So.... last night I decided to dump a pail of water into the bow of the boat to make sure it drains all the way to the back. It didn't. It got stuck at the first rib right where I start my front casting platform. I figured I let too much A/B foam flow down and it was blocking the drain hole in the back of the rib. I decided to grab a drill bit and see if I could open up the hole. I couldn't. Next I decided to take a longer bit and see if I could drill a new hole from the front side. It went great. As soon as I was done the water started to flow through the rib. I heard the water start to run out the back of the boat and I thought "darn" that drained fast. I went to the back and to my horror I found the water draining out a drain hole at the back of the center strake.

Yes, that's right. I now have a hole in my hull that is beneath a rib from the top and a strake from the bottom. At this point I think the better plan is to access it by cutting away at the rib instead of the strake. I am trying not to think about it since I will need to remove my rod tubes and they are now A/B foamed in place.

Anyone want to buy a project?

I'll feel better after I get a chance to get at it tonight. Just sick about it right now.

Looks awesome - great job! Just wondering what the approx. weight will be when you are done? Will the aluminum keep the weight down? Is it heavier than when you first got it? Again, awesome job =D>

ober51 said:
Looks awesome - great job! Just wondering what the approx. weight will be when you are done? Will the aluminum keep the weight down? Is it heavier than when you first got it? Again, awesome job =D>

Well I removed two casting decks that where made of 3/4 plywood and framed with 2x4s. I also removed three bench seats that where .08 aluminum and on top of the benches was more 3/4" plywood. Two floor sections that where 3/4" plywood and 2x4's. I am doing my new decking with 1/2" and 1 layer of fiberglass. I assume that the weight is going to end up lighter if I exclude the fact that I am adding 2 batteries and a second trolling motor. With those added it would be hard not to end up heavier no mater what I did.