9.9 questions carb vs fuel injection

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagante

Reaction score
I have a 1236 Jon that I use on a occasional basis. I currently have a 5 horsepower Nissan on it but really need to upgrade to a 9.9. If I buy a new motor am I better off with fuel injections or stick with a carburetor like the 9.8 Tohatsu ? It seems I have to get the carburetors cleaned once every year or two but I'm not sure if having fuel injection will cause greater problems. It sometimes can be three or four months between some uses. I might use this boat six to eight times a year

No idea there, but today's fuel is CRAP ... it breaks down in a little as 30-days. So with that limited use, I'd always run fuel treated with Stabil and would run the OB dry after each use, if you're not going to use it again for a few months. Also would keep no more fuel in a can around than needed, so you always run it with fresh new fuel.

DaleH said:
No idea there, but today's fuel is CRAP ... it breaks down in a little as 30-days. So with that limited use, I'd always run fuel treated with Stabil and would run the OB dry after each use, if you're not going to use it again for a few months. Also would keep no more fuel in a can around than needed, so you always run it with fresh new fuel.
NEVER run an EFI motor dry. It will burn out the electric fuel pump which is not an issue on a carb motor. But use stabil like DaleH recommended.

As far as EFI vs. Carb I think given the amount of use ( or lack thereof) EFI might be the way to go. Your pretty much guaranteed to start every time. A carb motor might not give you that convenience. I'm pretty sure all the manufacturers have gotten efi figured out by now so don't be afraid of it.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

DaleH said:
GYPSY400 said:
NEVER run an EFI motor dry ...
Noted :oops: , never ran an EFI myself #-o ... thanks for the update!
No problem.. it's just a learning curve with newer technology. Also, the ethanol doesn't wreak as much havoc on fuel injection as things work under high pressure and not vacuum like carburetors.

I don't have any EFI small engines, but the next ATV, snowmobile or outboard will be.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

Have my first EFI outboard and Yamaha recommends always running a stabilizer. If you go carb, do as Dale said. I pulled my 18HP Nissan out of three year storage, and after priming, started and ran on 2nd pull. :)

I believe that Mercury recommends running their fuel injected model 9.9 dry as well. I don't run any fuels with ethanol in my small engines because of the problems associated with it.

NEVER have ran a drop of E-10 gasoline in my outboard or inboard engines. Why risk a break down ? No dirt to step out & walk away on.

Car I have no choice. But the Honda engines have run O K forever.

Latest posts