'93 4 hp Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BottomDweller

Reaction score
Ok guys,
Looking for a little guidance. I've got this Evinrude 1993 4 hp that needs some maintenance. First of all let me emphasize that this is the first time I have attempted to work on a motor. The motor already runs pretty good for the most part. I just want to do a little maintenance to preserve the motor and also to learn alittle. I am looking to first replace the impeller. I ordered and received the manual in the mail but I am a little overwhelmed. I finally found the part in the manual that speaks to impeller replacement. It falls under gearcase servicing. I’ve actually attached the schematics of the motor and the manual excerpt that talks about gearcase servicing. Anyway it takes me though so many steps of servicing the gearcase.

1. Does impeller replacement usually require all of these steps and requirements (see attached). It has me going through so many steps of dissembling the gearcase, driveshaft, and lower unit components, and discarding multiple things in the lower unit that does not seem to be directly tied to the impeller.

2. There are also special tools required to take this thing apart that I cannot find (ie Propeller shaft bearing remover/installer P/N 392091, Gearcase Head Seal Installer, P?N 327572, Driveshaft Bearing Remover/Installer, P/N 392092, and Driveshaft Seal Installer, P/N 327431). Where do I get these things if I truly need them. I searched the internet but no luck. Are there alternatives to these tools I could use?

3. When replacing an impeller what do you usually replace other than the impeller (all of these other things like Plate gasket, gearcase o-ring, gearcase head seals, etc. etc.?)
Thanks to any help you can provide on the attached manual excerpt for my 1993 Evinrude 4 hp and on the questions above.

Attachments

• page 7.JPG
    page 7.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 903
  • page 6.JPG
    page 6.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 903
  • page 5.JPG
    page 5.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 903
  • page 4.JPG
    page 4.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 903
  • page 3.JPG
    page 3.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 903
  • page 2.JPG
    page 2.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 903
  • page 1.JPG
    page 1.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 903
  • schematics.JPG
    schematics.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 903
No, no, no. That is the process for the entire gearcase dis-assembly. Do steps 1 through 5, then stop. Now, skip down to step 31, and complete step 31 - 35. Now, reinstall the lower unit. It is a reverse from removing it, but you have to make sure the driveshaft meshes with the spline on the bottom of the powerhead (it won't slide up all the way otherwise, so you'll know if it's correct), and make sure the water tube slips into the water grommet on the water pump (it will all go together if it is wrong, so you have to make sure it is correct). Usually, to line the driveshaft splines up, it takes turning the flywheel a bit. Refill the gear lube (from the bottom up, using a pump, you will get air bubbles if you try to pour it in the top), and you're set.

you would probably want to get a gasket/ seal kit and replacing the impeller only would probably do just fine. i would take it apart and see how everything looks after you have cleaned everything up. Be glad you don't need to separate the powerhead to get into the impeller like you need to on older motors.

HUSKERBOATER said:
Be glad you don't need to separate the powerhead to get into the impeller like you need to on older motors.

Sounds like you've had a Mercury in your life.

Its easier than a merc, In my opinion ive had a hard time getting the little oring on the shaft off without cutting it so go ahead and get one just in case and the impeller is all you need. prob take you an hour tops my little '93 2.5 has a cavitation plate that can be a bit tricky to hold and screw and line up the water inlet line to so an extra pair of hands helps

With the impeller replacement on this 4 hp, I am going to have to turn the thing upside down to replace it..right?...or can you replace it by just turning it over on its side and working that way?

BottomDweller said:
With the impeller replacement on this 4 hp, I am going to have to turn the thing upside down to replace it..right?...or can you replace it by just turning it over on its side and working that way?

No. The impeller housing is in the top of the lower unit, not the outboard midsection. Once you pull the lower unit off the motor, ignore the rest of the motor, and take the lower unit over to a bench. Clamp it somehow so it is right side up, then the impeller housing will be around the driveshaft, within easy view.

Latest posts