'96 30 hp Merc, new impeller, weak stream from obi

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReelLowBudget

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just replaced the impeller on my 96 30 hp Merc. When I took the old one out it didn't look too bad, but I had it out and had a new one so I replaced it. When I'm at idle it barely if at all pees, when I'm at wot it streams out but not very powerful like it should. At first I was concerned about blockage but when I hooked the ear muffs up I was getting water out of the lower unit, and right around where the shift linkage connects and whatever else is in that area. I did not see a water tube in there like on my 9.8 so I think there is just some sort of channel or something that the water goes through, I do remember seeing some sort of gasket where the lower unit and riser or whatever it's called mate up. Could this be my problem? I don't know enough about outboards to be able to tell what it is on my own, any help will be greatly appreciated. I should also mention it was doing the same thing before I changed the impeller, I just never noticed the water coming out of where it shouldn't have...

Thanks,
Vinny

I have a 2000 25hp Merc.They have a thermostat & my stream comes & goes because of the thermostat.My older (1979 Merc) pees all the time. My 25 has a hose going to outlet for pee.

To be honest I havnt even thought about the thermostat... I guess that could be it but it does it all day, even when it's warmed up though... And when I have the muffs on it gets a pretty constant stream even when it's cold... I guess because water is being forced into it... I dunno, I'm at a loss... My 9.8 is a 78 and I pees all the time too, the thermostat was missing when I got it... My 30 also has a line going to the obi from the block, but I don't think that's where the problem is...

Latest posts