a new jet ski jet boat project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scubapro820 said:
I do have the inline filter on my boat, it came with the tigershark I bought to start the boat project.

I figured it might have a strainer. Of all the complaints I may have about Tigershark jet skis, that's one thing I will say they put some thought into, and got right....putting a water strainer on the cooling line to the engine. Other manufacturers do not do this.

Im going to install a pressure gauge soon as well as some of the things I previously listed.

You won;t regret it. After seeing how effective the pressure guage worked on my jetboat, I installed the exact same guage on my 50 HP Merc. Man, that beats having to look back at the indicator stream off the engine. Just glance at the guage, and you immediately know what's going on with the cooling system.

Got my skat trak swirl 16 21 installed today. I modified my nozzel by removing the shunt that was the ventri style syphon bilge

I'm definitely interested to know how that 16/21 impeller performs, as that's the pitch I was thinking about using on my boat. As for the siphon-fed bilge, I don't think that tube in the nozzle costs you any speed. If anything, that little bit of restriction in the nozzle might give a boost on the top end. Restrictions tend to affect the hole shot, but actually improve top end.

They actually make an aftermarket spring-loaded thrust cone that gives more hole shot by being a shorter cone at low speed, but at high speed, it extends out a little bit, restricting the thrust nozzle, which is supposed to give more top end. I forget what it's called, or who makes it, but I did try one on my boat a long time ago...only problem was, the cone was made for a 5 degree nozzle, and I was running a 0 degree, so, I couldn't use it. Now, with a 5 degree, I could probably try again, and see what happens.

But as far as the siphon fed bilge, I left it on my boat, and bought a Yamaha factory bilge strainer and siphon break check valve, and hooked it up. Of course, being where I operate, with waves in the inlet, and 3-4 foot waves from para-sailing boats that can swamp a johnboat, I need all the bilge pumps I can get (my boat has 4 pumps, with the ability to pump almost 3,000 GPH combined.)

I also cleaned and polished the hull holy smokes there was a lot of sheisse to remove from the 50+ years the hull has been around. I hope to gain some speed off the modifications and hull polishing. I have some b4 and after pics of the hulls appearance

Nice and shiny! You should get at least a 1-2 MPH gain from polishing the hull. Looking at the pics of the exterior, I'd never guess the boat was that old.

When I raced boats we would sand the bottom perfectly flat & put couple coats of clear over that, than sand with I believe 400 wet.It was thought that the grooves hold water which is the slipperiest,water against water. :idea:

Well I took it out today after some mods I added insulation to the cover and made an exhaust tip muffler using some plumming gear and a pool noodle works great does 40 and hole shot is freaky fast but I'm 800 rpm over running 7300

Attachments

• IMAG0279.jpg
    IMAG0279.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 424
  • IMAG0277.jpg
    IMAG0277.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 424
scubapro820 said:
Well I took it out today after some mods I added insulation to the cover and made an exhaust tip muffler using some plumming gear and a pool noodle works great does 40 and hole shot is freaky fast but I'm 800 rpm over running 7300

Outstanding! So, changing pitch got a 6 MPH gain, that's good to know. I think I know what pitch I'll do with for mine now. As far as the RPM, the rev limiter should handle it, you're probably at the maximum point, though.

I like the black and yellow strip on the transom, it looks cool. If you want to tone down the sound signature some more, add a platform. You'll be amazed how much difference it will make.

I had my friend tale it out it has 16" of.baffles its pretty darn quiet the remaining sound is what comes from the engine compartment its quiet enough to hear others talking at a slightly elevated level ear plugs no longer req. I'm thinking I can make a headliner like sound absorber the rest is the hull / cabbin resonating . I think I can also squeeze 2-3 mph more with some pump mods . But going that ffast it begins to geta bit squirly now I have to consider high speed stability . :D

Faster, and quieter. Definitely 2 welcome things on any boat! =D>

As far as it being squirelly, it's because of the V hull, most likely at higher speed the wind resistance is pushing the bow down, which puts more of the V in the water.

I'll have to investigate it but I actually think or it feels like so little of the boat is in the water / high plane probably from the aerodynamics of my cabin that it is almost lifting out of the water

Love this project - thing is freakin amazing! What part of MN are you in? I'm in Chaska (SW Metro).

I was curious, because I didn't see it listed before, but wheat knd of boat is that? It looks similar to my Sea King ...

I'm from oakdale I run pool 2 on the Mississippi out of.lions levee stpaul park to Hastings its a blue star boat 50s or 60s not too sure but it was basically a row boat

Sweet! I usually fish the MN river from the confluence down to Mankato ... but I hit up P2 from time to time from the so. ST. Paul launch. Nice flat btw! My fish of choice ;)

WoW that boat is something else =D> That wood be good for winter steelheadin on the rivers =D>
How you come up with that idea and dezine?

It was inspired by the class guard patrol boat and I run the mississippi lol so I had to run fast