Add inline fuel filter or just clean screen?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z33tec

Reaction score
My fuel filter has one of those metal mesh screens in it. Cleaned it for the first time since I bought the boat earlier this year and there's a bunch of crap in it. Looks like little bug particles or something.

Thought about adding an inline fuel filter to prevent crap from making it to the screen and blocking smaller particles that may pass through it. I read a couple posts that suggest that just adds an additional point of failure and unneeded extra complexity.

Is it worth it to add? Do these screens usually catch this crap?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

HP of the motor? If the 70hp, add an external Racor-type fuel/water separator, as they filter down to 10-microns.

I like and have installed this one here, stainless steel for $60, on 20-30 boats, anything of ~15hp or more, link = http://www.surplusunlimited.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_code=1&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2540

Have used inline ones on smaller OBs.

DaleH said:
HP of the motor? If the 70hp, add an external Racor-type fuel/water separator, as they filter down to 10-microns.

I like and have installed this one here, stainless steel for $60, on 20-30 boats, anything of ~15hp or more, link = http://www.surplusunlimited.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_code=1&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=2540

Have used inline ones on smaller OBs.
Ya it's for the 70hp Johnson. Will take a look at that one, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Here is a cheaper one for only $25 if you only boat in freshwaters and don’t need the stainless steel housing. Link = http://www.surplusunlimited.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=2538&Category_Code=

DaleH said:
Here is a cheaper one for only $25 if you only boat in freshwaters and don’t need the stainless steel housing. Link = http://www.surplusunlimited.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=2538&Category_Code=

Perfect thanks! I do only boat in freshwater so that should work out for me. Need to look into how these things hook up now. Looks like they have 4 ports so that's interesting.

z33tec said:
Perfect thanks! I do only boat in freshwater so that should work out for me. Need to look into how these things hook up now. Looks like they have 4 ports so that's interesting.
It might be 4 ports, but there are 2 sets of ports on each housing, an IN and OUT port for each set, depending on whether or not the flow is fed (from the fuel tank) to the Left or the Right. So the other 2 coming from the other direction are capped off. This allows it to be mounted on either side of the motor or hull.

That kit shown includes all you need to install it, as the ad says: "Includes universal filter head 3/8" ID hose barbs, plugs, thread sealant and 10 Micron water separating fuel filter", but the fittings are for a 3/8" internal diameter, so confirm what diameter you have.

DaleH said:
z33tec said:
It might be 4 ports, but there are 2 sets of ports on each housing, an IN and OUT port for each set, depending on whether or not the flow is fed (from the fuel tank) to the Left or the Right. So the other 2 coming from the other direction are capped off. This allows it to be mounted on either side of the motor or hull.

That kit shown includes all you need to install it, as the ad says: "Includes universal filter head 3/8" ID hose barbs, plugs, thread sealant and 10 Micron water separating fuel filter", but the fittings are for a 3/8" internal diameter, so confirm what diameter you have.

Ah, ok, that makes more sense that 2 are capped. Thanks.

Ditto. Ditch the factory screen and install a separate filter.

The factory screens are no good at separating water, and they're often very difficult to access on the water.

So do you use these with all fuel types or just ethanol blends? I've never ran one is why I ask and I never ever run ethanol in my motors.

Latest posts