Almaloy Brazing Rods...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basenjib123

Reaction score
So this guy at the boat ramp and I start chit chatting about leaky boats, when he says ..."I would never go through the trouble of re-riveting when I can use a torch and some Almaloy Brazing Rods to stop my leaks"... Now, I admit that I know nothing about this so I didn't debate the point with him, but my "Spidey Sense" tells me not so fast... Can somebody give me the "low down" on this technique? Thanks, Joe.

A lot of times you can fix a leaky rivet by simply rebucking. I always try this first. Brazing aluminum is also a good fix. It does require a bit of skill and I recommend trying it out on some scrap before your boat. Careful with the heat because most rivets will melt faster than the base aluminum. As with any brazing or welding, make sure the surface is cleaned down to bare aluminum by using sand paper or a wire brush etc. If you're not feeling like trying brazing.... I hate to say it because I weld for a living... JB Weld. I keep a SteelStik in my tackle box. It's the kind you cut a piece off and knead together. As with any repair, clean aluminum, and press a piece on. Let cure and it can be sanded down to a nice smooth profile. This will be strong and last but I don't recommend for cracks.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk