Alumacraft 1648 Project - Getting Ready, Again

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a busy summer with pretty decent fishing. Got out this morning and brought home 20 of these.

Attachments

• 080915a.jpg
    080915a.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 2,154
  • 080915b.jpg
    080915b.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,154
Wife and I were going fishing this morning in Winder but ended up camping at lake Lanier all weekend
she just lost her job so we wanted to get away

We spent Labor Day weekend with our oldest daughter, her husband and our 2 oldest grandchildren at Lake Chatuge, Georgia. THe fishing wasn't great, but we had a good time and the tin worked well. Was a catch and release trip.

Attachments

• C027.jpg
    C027.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 2,054
  • C064.jpg
    C064.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 2,054
  • C073.jpg
    C073.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 2,054
Boat still looks great Gill!

That's a nice looking body of water you were fishing on labor day.

It's been a cold and rainy fall here. October is usually beautiful and it was crummy. November was more of the same. We finally got a really nice day yesterday and got out on the water for the afternoon. Caught and released a good bunch of Bluegill. The boat is nearing the end of it's 5th season and is holding up well. For those of you that aren't comfortable using aluminum as a building material, I used all wood on this boat and it has held up very well for 5 years now. I do store the boat inside, but it has been totally soaked a number of times while traveling.

Attachments

• 112815c.jpg
    112815c.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,913
Gil,
This boat looks amazing man. I have been trolling this site for a few months now and just recently joined. I bought a Jon and can't wait to get going on it this winter! Thanks for the inspiration!

Well it's the 6th season for the tin. Just changed the oil and filter in the Honda. We fish total electric most of the time so the Honda only has about 15 hours on it. It's been a rainy, windy spring and we haven't been able to get out much so far. (I don't fish in rain or 25 mph wind any more). We finally got a nice morning and got out for a couple of hours. Brought home 33 Gills. Most between 8 and 9 inches. Hope everyone is having a good spring!

Attachments

• 043016j.jpg
    043016j.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 2,270
  • 043016d.jpg
    043016d.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 2,270
  • 043016h.jpg
    043016h.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 2,270
what bait do you use most of the time

my fishing has been on hold for a while but starting to get at it again

retired now and wife is retired also

heron,
After moving here from northern Indiana in '08 it took me a couple of years to figure out how to fish small reservoirs in Georgia rather than natural lakes in Indiana and Michigan. We target brim. We use crickets 99% of the time on light action rods, slip bobber rigged on 4lb. mono with #8 hooks.

thanks

i need to post some pics of my 1648

just picked up a 9.9 Mariner last fall -

had it looked at and put a new impeller in - ta=ook it ot twice and it starts and runs great :D

Getting hot down here in Georgia already and it isn't even summer yet. Got out early this morning before the heat set in and caught a bunch of these. We released everything today. We have plenty in the freezer and I didn't feel like cleaning any today :LOL2:

Attachments

• 061216a.jpg
    061216a.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 2,223
  • 061216b.jpg
    061216b.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 2,223
Been a while since I've posted. Still fishing. Last year was a bad one for us weather-wise. It seemed that every time we had the opportunity to fish it was either really rainy, windy or both. Any way. getting ready for this boat's 9th season. Changed oil and filter as always and the water pump impeller this year. We still fish mostly total electric, but are planning a trip to Michigan this June to fish for a few days and visit family, so we will be using the engine.

Hope everyone has a good season this year. We hope to get out for the first time this year this weekend.

Attachments

• Honda 040519 2.jpg
    Honda 040519 2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,748
  • Honda 040519.jpg
    Honda 040519.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,748
Nice to hear that boat has served you well.
Last summer I picked up a tracker grizzly 1648.
Looking forward to many years of service too.
Good luck with fishing as well.
I've learned a lot from your thread. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I really like your boat and all your modifications you've done. Way back in the first couple post I see that you carpeted the decks and then installed them. Did you screw through the carpet and into your boat with stainless screws or are the decks just laying in there not secured?

gillhunter said:
Thanks. The decks are secured with stainless steel screws through the carpet.

Thanks! I apologize if this has already been discussed in this thread, but did you glue the carpet to your wood panels or is it just attached with stainless staples?

TMO8853 said:
gillhunter said:
Thanks. The decks are secured with stainless steel screws through the carpet.

Thanks! I apologize if this has already been discussed in this thread, but did you glue the carpet to your wood panels or is it just attached with stainless staples?

No problem. The carpet is glued down using Henry 663. I used SS staples to hold it in place until the glue dried.

Attachments

• Boat Stuff 003.jpg
    Boat Stuff 003.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,629
  • frontdeck3.jpg
    frontdeck3.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,629
Heading from Georgia to Michigan this week to do some fishing in the Three Rivers area. Pictures to follow. (I Hope). I used to drive this 750 mile run in one day. Now at 66 it takes me 2. Getting old is not for sissy’s.

gillhunter said:
Heading from Georgia to Michigan this week to do some fishing in the Three Rivers area. Pictures to follow. (I Hope). I used to drive this 750 mile run in one day. Now at 66 it takes me 2. Getting old is not for sissy’s.

Shoot, I guess I better stop whining about having to drive 70 miles to get to my lake!

Look forward to seeing some pic's.

LDUBS said:
gillhunter said:

Shoot, I guess I better stop whining about having to drive 70 miles to get to my lake!

Look forward to seeing some pic's.

Well we made it in yesterday afternoon. Of course its raining.