Alumacraft MV1448 Seadoo IB jet, Still jetting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J, Thanks for turning me onto this site. I wish I had found it when I was doing my boat. Just what I need another place to get in trouble on the web. Did you get to try out the "spoon" today?

Action Shots of this baby screaming...

Curtesy of the son who doesn't know how to zoom.

41mph... Move'n...
DSC06673.jpg

Everything in front of the console is out of the water, it should have been cavitating.
DSC06676.jpg

2' rooster tail, couldn't get a higher one without back washing the transom.
DSC06677.jpg

Hole shot...
DSC06678.jpg

Reverse...
DSC06668.jpg

The spoon worked extremely well. We were doing 38mph in white cap chop and I left out of it so it didn't beat the boat up too much. On the flat we saw 43mph, could have seen more except the expansion pipe came off and flooded the boat (again). In fact I was pumping water out in the pictures. The boat also handles great how it's set up now. I was cranking it around and it was sliding really smooth with the corner just about under water (20-25mph). I'm pretty sure the manifold bolts have wallowed out so I'll probably keysert them or look into a better fix (possibly glue them together as well instead of a gasket).

Jamie

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, had a guy run me down in a 1442 flat bottom with a 550 Kaw standup setup in the back, very nice looking boat that had been that way going on 18 years. Said mine was the first one he'd seen similiar to his. We chatted on the river for a good bit, good times. Oh yeah, the boy and I even caught a couple fish.

Jamie

I bet she's noisier in forward then reverse:)
Glad it worked out for you,maybe once you smooth it right out,you'll get another 1mph.
43mph,is scating right along in a 14"boat.

I'd love to do some videos, but I don't have a camcorder yet. My Sony camera will do it so maybe we'll get a viral shot or two. I've been playing with the expansion pipe. The bolt holes are wallowed out in the new purple pipe so I may end up welding them shut and redrilling them. Time will tell.

One thing to note, I can tube or ski off of this thing in the deeper sections.

We did run up on a decent sized rock the other evening idling up into some riffles. I really just need to anchor in the shallows and walk across the river to find the lines through these rapids before trying to run them. Hard part is I'll be running into the sun through this stuff...

Jamie

Jamie, I'm loving this thing.

What an odd looking duck with you and your son in it. You two just dwarf that thing. Now I know how folks feel seeing me in my 14 footer.

On the flip side, what a sleeper!! 43MPH is nuts in what is/was a jon boat.

Congrats on the work and thanks for the link to the seats on ebay. I'm a big man and I'm wondering how comfortable they are for you. I'm tempted to go with something a bit more robust. That plastic base looks like it will just bend when I put my 285lbs in it.

What type of work do you do? I suspect you machine or fabricate (access to a lathe at work). Is that right?

On the constructive criticism side, I'm concerned with your steering set up. I'm wondering if something can't get caught under that plate and jamb the steering. That area will be left open, right? Its very close to the floor.

The seats I am very happy with, granted I'm only a 200lb 6'7" guy. They are stiffer than the wise (bass embossed) seats I had on it with the metal pivots.

For work, I am a printing press mechanic for Quad Graphics in Martinsburg WV, right off I81. We have big Cerutti gravure presses and smaller Man Rolland offsets. The Cerutti's run a 108" wide web of paper through the press. This is a 12 color press that prints the National Geographic Magazine from when it was getting installed a couple years ago. We have two 12 colors and nine 8 color Cerutti presses.

Three stories tall and over 150 yards long. These are my babies.
G21pan.jpg

We have an in house machine shop, decent stuff with excellent machinists, but not as advanced as the mill I have in my garage.

For the steering protection, there is a 3" aluminum curb between the uprights to keep stuff out of the well. I really wanted to be able to see the bare hull so I would know if it was taking on water. Nothing will be in the middle well when moving except my feet. The boat has a lot of storage room as it is now. I'm really happy with how it's turned out.

Jamie

I saw that steering setup in person last weekend. Trust me no worries on that. The factory seedoo cable is the weak-link not Jamies fab work. Industrial bearings and ample clearance. I second the tempress seats. I'm using the all-weather high backs. 6' 240lbs and beefy. You break one of these I want to see it. They are stronger than the pedestal they'll be mounted on. I really think it would be hard to crack one of my 10 year old seat shells(the old ones off my boat) by driving over it.

Jamie, I wouldn't worry about banging and bouncing off those rocks. I know a man whose pretty good with a MIG that can fix you right up if you punch a hole in it!

We were going to go out last night, but the motor wouldn't start, acted like the flywheel stripped some teeth (starter just spun). Pulled the front cover and found the flywheel had come off, woodruff key slot in the crank is washed out pretty bad and the flywheel keyway has some damage. Spent about an hour with a small file hand reworking the flywheel last night and hope to us a dremel to hand cut a longer key in the crank. If it works I'll be back on the water without spending a grand on a new motor / flywheel. I'll probably mix up some epoxy to fill in the eroded areas before locking it back down. I really wanted to get at least one good season out of this motor to work the bugs out before doing a rebuild.

DSC06682.jpg

What's left of the key...
DSC06683.jpg

I've been working 50+ hours a week and struggling to get stuff done around the house so the boat is waiting for me to get a new cat pipe fabbed for my mustang and a bunch of weedtrees trimmed out and gone.

It never ends...

Jamie

Well, the mustang is done, now all I hear is the tires scrubbing and squealing under boost. Quiet as a mouse until the blower starts to whine. The trees are gone too, funny what goats and cows will eat.

Now I just need to drag the boat back in the garage and see if I can get the front cover and stuff off to fix this mess.

Jamie

Ok, I think we'll be ok with this. Pulled the flywheel housing and mag plate off and just ended up using a cut off wheel in a die grinder. Dressed the edge of the wheel square and cut a very nice square slot in the crank after scribing the slot in some lay up die where the original woodruff key was. Used a file and stone to dress the crank where the damage was and everything fit back together really nice and tight. Rotax used a flipping cheap lock washer behind the nut and mind distorted so I'll probably put a nordlock washer on it once I find one big enough. The nut get's 107ft/lbs of torque to hold everything together and some blue locktight to bond the flywheel to the crank. I borrowed a lockwire tool from one of the guys at work and may even do that just out of spite...

DSC06684.jpg

DSC06685.jpg

DSC06686.jpg

This poor thing is truely turning into a Redneck Rocket.

Jamie

I have no idea what I'm really looking at with your project, but I strangely feel compelled to keep looking :lol: . Thanks for posting your work even if it is over my head. Maybe this is a silly question but here goes, do you think you're having problems with stuff staying together because you're going so fast in it? Also, do you think you'll run into leaking problems with your rivets putting that much strain on them (going 40 in chop). I know you know a lot more than me, it just seems like most jons weren't made strong enough to handle that long term.

Baptist, the front end of the motor is the same as the top of an outboard. The coils fire the CD ignition and another one charges the electrical system. The rivets should be ok. if they leak I'll deal with it later. I expect I'll have more rock damage vs rivet leaks in the end.

The stang, '93 vintage. Has the SAAC emblems and engine dress. ROH 16 wheels, cobra spoiler, cobra 'R' hood, lowered a bit. Factory rear window louvers. I've done just about everything to this car over the last couple years. Ran a 11.78 at 118, usually passes emmisions too.

Motor is a .030" 302, AFR 185 heads, mild Crane cam (smaller than an 'E' cam). 1.6 roller rockers. Vintage '95 factory polished GT40 intake setup straightened, ported and polished on the inside by me. Vintage '95 Paxton SN-92 series ball drive blower, 6psi on a good day. All the pipe is stainless 3" dairy pipe I fabbed up. Exhaust is BBK 1 5/8" longtubes ported, etc. Stainless 2.5" X pipe I made, MAC 2.5 cat back flowing into a pair of 3" tips (dairy pipe). SVO (cobra) tailights. Interior has a guage vent housing I made so the gauges would aim to the driver. Tach mount is just siliconed to the dash, but looks bolts to deter the idiots.

DSCF0337.jpg

'
DSCF0333.jpg

DSCF0329.jpg

Car dyno'd out at 390 rwhp and 400ftlbs of torque at 5200rpm. Torque monster setup will spin the tires pretty easily with 3.55 gears.

Jamie

Thanks, it's just a cool commuter car anymore. You CAN haul 10' sticks of EMT in a mustang. That car has been up the sides of mountains visiting cell phone tower site when I was working for Lucent Technologies.

A link to my '71 F250 build.
https://www.fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23972

I have an unrestored '68 fairlane 500 dastback in the shed too;
https://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z291/Ranchero50/Fairlane/

And a '64 Fairlane 500 I got a couple months ago;
https://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z291/Ranchero50/64%20fairlane/

I have a bunch of cool junk, just no time to enjoy any of it. To keep this on topic I'll just say that I got hoome from work too late to do anything on the boat. I need to fab a turbo flange and make an exhaust elbow for my buddies IH 806 tractor tomorrow sometime.

Jamie

Jamie, I hate you.... LOL
AWESOME looking Mustang, I hope you get some time soon to work on the other projects you have. I'm REALLY looking forward to some pics.
Back on topic, hope you get the boat back together with no problems and hope you have no more problems out of it, I'm wanting to see the video....

:beer: