Aluminum canoe owners: question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Taylor

Reaction score
An aluminum canoe can be stored in the sun, on a trailer, correct? Just like any other aluminum boat?

I was thinking of buying a poly canoe, such as the Scanoe, but storing it outside sounds like a real PITA.

Do you guys have an opinion on aluminum vs. poly square stern canoe?

Thanks

I don't have an opinion but it is my understanding that the poly will suffer from UV rays if not protected when stored. If noise is an issue for you the aluminum will be noisier than the poly. If you don't want to keep it covered you may want to go with the aluminum. I have two poly kayaks and store them covered in the shade.

I have had an old Grumman 17 since the mid 80's and it was old then. I have stored it under the bushes since I got it and it's fine. It seems like all the old Poly's I see have a large bow in center where the keel folded then popped back again. You definitely don't want to store one on two saw horses as they get bent from snow loads. I think??? somewhere in my distant memory that I also heard that they can do the same from heat like extremely hot days.
The folks I know who had them like this with the bent keel still use them and yes they are a lot quieter. One way to avoid the bending issue is to store it in the ceiling of a garage or storage building. Many hang them from the ceiling joists in a sling and keep them suspended there which usually gives clearance enough for other uses. You can just store it on a platform or even on the ground and keep it out of the hot sun . Put it behind the building but not where it will be under an eve and get hit by falling ice and snow. Tarp it with a cheap silver tarp and stake that in place and you should be fine for longer term storage if you can't leave it inside.
I'm really not much of a canoe guy but one thing for sure. If I was going places I would prefer the Grumman. That's because it's rugged and thin. The trouble is you arent going to stand up in the thing unless you want to go swimming. Those others are fatter and much friendlier if you are going fishing. Also they are just sooooo much quieter if you are jiggling around trying to rig up tackle.

Get a Grumman if you can find one on Craigslist that won't break the bank.

They're fantastic. I'm trying like crazy to get one now but getting stuff on CL is like trying to hit the DMV at rush hour. It just never works out.

The Scanoe (the modern gen, the one at Dick's) is pretty garbage. If you read the reviews the first thing that goes wrong is that the seats pop out and you'll need to replace those plastic rivets with SS bolts.

Also they recently had to recall their product sheets because Dick's was listing them safe for a 3hp motor and some guy on the news put one on his and swamped the canoe, and when he called Coleman they said it was ONLY ever rated for a small trolling motor.

I haven't personally owned a Scanoe, but I've owned several kayaks and if you want them to last, at all, they need to be garage kept.

Anything made of that poly plastic will indeed warp in the sun. It usually resets itself but it's still a chore to keep it looking good.

My buddy has an old aluminum canoe that I used for floating on the Knik River while I lived in Alaska. It was used for duck hunting, bear hunting and floats down the river. I used it more than he did! It was about 12 feet long or so.

Never had a single issue with it expect the time my brother decided to stand up in it and flip the canoe. Thank goodness we were in the shallow part of the river. The open end turned towards, pointing up stream, and filled it up with water. It was a PIA to move, but we did get it to a sand bank and was able to dump the water.

My buddy kept it stored underneath some tress in his back yard (his cabin was right off the river) on some railroad ties, upside down. With the winters in Alaska, he would just brush it off once in awhile when too much snow accumulated on top of it.

They can be loud if someone drops something, but do quite well with going over structure in the shallows. Easy to clean as well. I don’t remember the brand of the canoe but it was at least 20 years old and a champ!

Thanks guys. I definitely don't want a poly canoe if I can't keep it outside on a trailer. I will keep my eyes open for an aluminum square stern canoe.

Where I keep my boat is on the north side of the house, so it would get sun in the morning and evening, before sunset.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=353346#p353346 said:
Andy Taylor » 23 May 2014, 19:01[/url]"]Thanks guys. I definitely don't want a poly canoe if I can't keep it outside on a trailer. I will keep my eyes open for an aluminum square stern canoe.

Where I keep my boat is on the north side of the house, so it would get sun in the morning and evening, before sunset.

Just so you know, Square back canoes used are a rare as hens teeth. Don't pass up a good deal on a regular model waiting for the one you may never find. You can pretty easily mount a small outboard on a rear outrigger with the regular style . It's just a bit more awkward.

I like my square back canoe and the Johnson 3hp motor that I have on it. About $500. invested in it so far.

Attachments

• 20120908_120500.jpg
    20120908_120500.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 592
Maybe you have to live in MN to find 'em. A search in C'sL this morning finds nine Grumman canoes two of which are square stern. They're going from $175 for one that's been repaired to $1500 for a nineteen-footer with a square stern. There are always several dozen aluminum canoes for sale here. I think the Alumacraft ones are nice too and a little less money.

I store my Grumman Eagle in barn rafters during the off season and outside all summer long. The Eagle is 15' long & weighs 67 lbs. A 3 hp Evinrude really moves it out. It was a very lucky Craigslist find!

Attachments

• Eagle.JPG
    Eagle.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 535
Here is the canoe I used in AK (see my earlier post).

Not sure of the brand/model. I looked up some pics to see if I could find a name on it, but cant see any from the pics.

My buddy is from MN and bought it there while growing up. It STILL is a great canoe!

P5180008.JPG

The Knik River, Alaska
P5180043.JPG

GOPR2431.JPG

Off the Knik for a day float. The raft on the right is my one-man cata raft.
P5180052.JPG

Latest posts