Aluminum Console?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need to make a console for my 14' tiller to house fuse panel, bus, switches, etc. and I was considering aluminum. Is there any reason it couldn't be made out of .060 aluminum stock as long as it was grounded?

Everything in your boat that is electrical should be "home run". That is, an individual ground and an individual positive. I would NOT recommend using the hull as a ground like in a vehicle. Use a QUALITY fuse block (Blue Seas) and it will have both connections.

Oh, I'm not planning on using an aluminum console as the bus. I have a BlueSeas switch/fuse panel and a separate ground bus. I'm just wondering if aluminum is a suitable material for a console? I imagine some boats have a factory console that is aluminum? I was going to ground it just for safety, not as a bus. It is possible to insulate it from the hull. I do understand that the hull shouldn't be grounded. All my connections have an independent ground to a common bus.

I could use epoxy treated plywood, but I have a source for very affordable aluminum sheet and angle stock, and I just like the idea of a weatherproof box that won't need to be replaced.