Aluminum framing questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty2112

Reaction score
I would like to know how you attached your hatches that have used aluminum framing ??? Do you add wood or attach right to the aluminum? How do you scribe for the opening??? Thanks for your input!

If you could show some pics that would be great. I'm a visual kind of guy.

I just did one this afternoon. It's a deck hatch - so meant to take weight [stand on for example]

The hatch has about 1" lip. When laid on the installation area there is enough room to get a sharpie in there to mark where to cut.

Depending on the the kind of hatch you're installing it may be sealed and fastened directly to the aluminum with no additional support.

Yeah I was wondering about the regular cut out plywood hatches. But thanks anyway.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.
Could you make a cardboard pattern to the size of the lid and mark around it?

What I want to know is how to attach the hinges and what people use to keep the lid from falling in. I'm starting my rebuild and I want to figure this out before I get to the actual thing. I'm wondering what type of hinges and do they screw them into the aluminum or add furring strips. Do you all cut the hatches larger to sit on the aluminum or what?

I'm going for the plywood deck with cut hatches. I want to use the cut out pieces for the lids.

I used these hatches. They came with a flange and hinges already. Just screwed the flame down on the opening I made in the aluminum deck. Sorry no pic.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Livewells-Bilge-Pumps-Hatches/Hatches-Storage%7C/pc/104794380/c/104743980/sc/104378580/Custom-Hatch/699966.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FHatches-Storage%2F104378580.uts&WTz_l=DirectLoad%3Bcat104378580

I know they sell drop in hatches that come with locks, latches, gaskets, hinges and so forth. You just cut the size out that they call for and set them in place then screw them down. They work well for going into existing benches that you've pulled all the foam out. Just go to Amazon or E-bay and search for boat storage hatches.

I didn't use hinges on mine. Made a cutout. Put about 1" lips around opening to support cutout and epoxied about 6 rare earth magnets around cutout and in lips. I figured I'd get better access by being able to get the hatch cover completely out of the way when stowing/retrieving stuff.