Aluminum L Channel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2go

Reaction score
My local Lowe's doesn't carry 1 inch or larger aluminum L channel.Is there any large chain store I maybe able to find it at or an online source?I like cheap and easy just like my women. \:D/

I'd see if you have any local steel/metal suppliers or fabrication shops.
I know the steel and aluminum diamondplate, channel, square tubing, etc. is much cheaper at these local places in my neck of the woods than they are lowes or home-depot...up to 1/2 as much.

If you have a recycling center nearby, it may also be worth a look to see if you can salvage what you need for pennies on the dollar.

Our recyclers don't allow dumpster diving but I will see if we have any metal suppliers close by.I haven't found any,but it's been a few years since I tried looking.

Have bought a few small things from these guys when we needed an uncommon shape for something
https://www.metalsdepot.com/

Don't like the fact that these guys don't give prices on the web, you have to email, but if they are cheaper, it would be worth emailing.
https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

Haven't bought aluminum from these guys, but this is my exclusive boat hinge place. I also get my rivnuts, standard rivets (not pop rivets) and various other hardware from here. They have some very interesting stuff.
Here is there metals page.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/me/index.html

Lowes and Home Depot metals are a huge rip off. Even if I didn't have local sources for used aluminum, and had to only buy new, I wouldn't even consider the big box stores.

I built my deck supports out of 1/4" X 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 and I had to go to a fab shop tha specialized in building things out of aluminum. I was lucky enough to have some one there do what I wanted on the weekend. The guy looked at me at told me he had x-amount of dollars of labor in it and that's all he wanted. \:D/ I didn't ask questions, paid the man for his time and didn't look back. :D

ben2go said:
My local Lowe's doesn't carry 1 inch or larger aluminum L channel.Is there any large chain store I maybe able to find it at or an online source?I like cheap and easy just like my women. \:D/
That'd be the last place you'd want to buy it anyway :shock: , they're higher than hell on aluminum stock. Price some of the smaller stuff there, you'll see what I mean.

ST

Thanks eveyone.I didn't even think about aircraft spruce.I have an account with them from my days as a pilot.It's good to know that the chain stores are carrying crap. :beer:

What size aluminum channel is everyone using?My plan was 1"x1" for my floor bracing and bench seat replacement.My gunnels need to be replaced and I was planning on 1.5"x1.5".I want wider gunnels for clamp on rod holders.Any suggestions or advice before I make my final design decisions?Thanks for the help this far.

ben2go said:
Thanks eveyone.I didn't even think about aircraft spruce.I have an account with them from my days as a pilot.It's good to know that the chain stores are carrying crap. :beer:

I have an account with them as well. Never was a pilot but they were the only place where I could find a small splitter valve for switching between my main motor and my kicker motor. Great customer service.

ben2go said:
What size aluminum channel is everyone using?My plan was 1"x1" for my floor bracing and bench seat replacement.My gunnels need to be replaced and I was planning on 1.5"x1.5".I want wider gunnels for clamp on rod holders.Any suggestions or advice before I make my final design decisions?Thanks for the help this far.

Alot of your dimensional choice may hinge on the thickness of the material you want.......

ST

SlimeTime said:
ben2go said:

Alot of your dimensional choice may hinge on the thickness of the material you want.......

ST

1/8 inch thick is my plans.My boat is a 1030.

Latest posts