Aluminum Tubing Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

South Sound

Reaction score
I have been looking through the history and search pages and have seen a number of different types of aluminum tubing. I am planning on starting my conversion once I have the aluminum framing. I have a couple questions that I have not found on the site when looking.

1.) What is the best size, shape, and diameter of tubing to use. I heard that circle tube is strongest, but not easy to work with for framing.

2.) What size rivets to frame aluminum would also be helpful.

3.) What size aluminum sheeting should I get if I would rather use aluminum rather than plywood for decking?

Thanks,
Josh

I used 1"x2" rectangular tubing and I think it is great. I fell onto mine by chance and know that it is expensive stuff. Square 1"x1" tubing 1/8" thick should be fine as well.

I used 1/8" rivets, I think they were 1/4" or 1/2" long and worked great.

I am not sure about the sheeting. 1/16 may be too thin, but 1/8" , may be overkill. I am sure bassboy can help you out with that.

1 x 1 is relatively easy to work with, and gives a wide variety of design options. For certain applications, using a piece of 1 x 2, or 1.5 x 1.5 is actually desirable for the given layout, but it isn't necessarily cost effective, and for a first boat, where you are still picking up some of the ins and outs, it can complicate things.

I use 3/16 rivets for structural pieces, and 1/8 for attaching paneling. Grip length should be self explanatory - get the correct rivet for whatever the total thickness is of the two pieces you are riveting together.

Generally, I use .125 sheet for load bearing decks, and .063 (1/8 and 1/16 respectively) for side panels, splashwells and the likes. However, for certain things, I do like to use .090 for cost and weight savings. Just depends on the desired deck layout as to the feasibility of such.

Thanks for the help. I have an in to get aluminum at cost. What challenges might I find with using 1x2 inch. I plan on taking my time and want this to last.

How much space should I have between "studs/joists" for load bearing floors if I am using aluminum flooring?

Thanks,
Josh

I didn't have a lot of challenges with the 1x2, but the whole thing was a learning process for me. You can see how far apart i put everything in my build. I don't think I really measured it specifically. I just laid everything out the way I wanted my compartments to be and went from there. Check out my build it should really help you.

Latest posts