Sealing jon boat deck with epoxy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, new member here, I am fixing up an old sea nymph and am building an aluminum frame with wood deck. I was in the process of sealing the deck with west systems 105 and ran out. My question is I have about a gallon of epoxy left over from stone coat countertops from redoing my kitchen counters, and am wondering if I could use this to seal the rest of the wood, or would it be better to just pick up another kit of west systems. I am 10 minutes away from a west marine store so no big deal to get more, just dont want to spend the money if the stone coat countertops epoxy will work. What do ya'll think?

I'm going back 40 years with this, so bear that in mind. A friend of mine had an 8' jon boat, his dad covered it with some type of epoxy back in the day (I'm sure it wasn't as good as the stuff we have today), but it leaked quite badly even with the entire hull coated.

I'm going back 40 years with this, so bear that in mind. A friend of mine had an 8' jon boat, his dad covered it with some type of epoxy back in the day (I'm sure it wasn't as good as the stuff we have today), but it leaked quite badly even with the entire hull coated.
Im not using it on the hull, just to waterproof and seal the plywood deck.

Got it, I will try it on some scrap and test the durability and water resistance, thanks guys.

Hello, new member here, I am fixing up an old sea nymph and am building an aluminum frame with wood deck. I was in the process of sealing the deck with west systems 105 and ran out. My question is I have about a gallon of epoxy left over from stone coat countertops from redoing my kitchen counters, and am wondering if I could use this to seal the rest of the wood, or would it be better to just pick up another kit of west systems. I am 10 minutes away from a west marine store so no big deal to get more, just dont want to spend the money if the stone coat countertops epoxy will work. What do ya'll think?
if its waterproof, why not do a 30% thin and try it on some end grain. let 2 coats of that to cure and then 2-3 coats non-thinned. if the epoxy is waterproof, it should turn the wood into soilid plastic. That's what i did but the product was made for marine use. I then glued EVA onto the sealed {and sanded} with waterproof white Gorilla glue. Then I covered that with fully wrapped and stapled/glued waterproof Marideck PVC on all deck boards. i also reduced the ridiculous number of shitty deck screws and hinged the center board to facilitate access to all below deck hoses in the rear of the boat.

if its waterproof, why not do a 30% thin and try it on some end grain. let 2 coats of that to cure and then 2-3 coats non-thinned. if the epoxy is waterproof, it should turn the wood into soilid plastic. That's what i did but the product was made for marine use. I then glued EVA onto the sealed {and sanded} with waterproof white Gorilla glue. Then I covered that with fully wrapped and stapled/glued waterproof Marideck PVC on all deck boards. i also reduced the ridiculous number of shitty deck screws and hinged the center board to facilitate access to all below deck hoses in the rear of the boat.
Thanks for the reply, I just ended up buying some more west systems epoxy, the wife wouldnt let me use the countertop epoxy because she wants me to use it on the bathroom counters. Guess I have to add that to my neverending to-do list.