Aluminum Vhull stretcher , WANTED!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apeus

Reaction score
Currently own 85 Starcraft 14 Seafarer w/ light mods & basic paint I did immediately after purchase. Added a Johnson 25 & , it's fun & faster than expected( 35-37mph wot in bay, on plane in couple seconds.
Got add on steering & thumb throttle kit to install soon, but....wondering.....With 2nd donor matching boat ,good tig welder for aluminum,experience welding aluminum, lots of time & aluminum stock,pipe,angle,materials around (we design & install handicapped aluminum ramps for customers);need opinion & advice/comments;knowledge (nothing negative,one way or another its happening)

Combine 2 sections of each
to make 14' into 20'-24' of Frankensteined alum that's longer & factory lean.
Natural that keel caps & solid alum cap running top both sides need to be 1 solid complete length& extra structural ribbing & hull support like bench seats provide.
Any feedback appreciated
Pics next if found

I've added width by doing this but haven't tried lengthening. It's very time consuming and way you cut it (no punn intended). From the measurements I did adding width to a flat bottom I'll assume that you'll have to fare the two sections together. I think you'll find that as you progress down the length of the hull that the width measurements are going to vary a lot which will create a "step" in the hull. Good luck!

Reminds me of my old race car chassis builder mentor saying: "It's easier to add it OFF than add it ON". TexasJim

In my younger days, remember seeing homemade boats out of plywood, or steel construction. One of the most interesting was a steel boat, made by welding 2 40 ford hoods back to back. It looked like a steel canoe.

If you are trying to add 10' to the boat, that might have some structural issues, where the boat wants to "fold" in the middle. You want super-strong, structural rails and keel to support that if you attempt.

A lot easier to add 2-4' to the back.