Always Hot

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseyjimk

Reaction score
How can I make my accesory switch wires hot only when the key is on.If I connect directly to the battery the switch panel is hot,how do you make the wires hot only when the key is on.Besides a manual switch at the battery,what else could I use?I have a center console with a electric start motor,
Thanks jim

hi jersy jim k, the key swich is the same as your car, but with out the back key for acc. so this might help, look at the wires on the swich,
find the hot from the battery and the one from the run side as it will be hot when the key is on your third wire should be the start hot wire.
you can use a scott block on the run hot if you have no fuse panel this is how I would do it.
I hope this helps you in some small way.

Figure out the total amp draw of every item that is controlled by your switch block. Then go to the autoparts store and get a continuous duty relay that is rated for at least as many amps as your draw. Wire the relay up so it's triggered by the key switch and provides power to your switch block.

JMichael said:
Figure out the total amp draw of every item that is controlled by your switch block. Then go to the autoparts store and get a continuous duty relay that is rated for at least as many amps as your draw. Wire the relay up so it's triggered by the key switch and provides power to your switch block.

Good answer, relay is the best way. The key switch may not be able to handle the current draw of all your equipment. Don't forget individual fuses for those accessories either.

Tim

thanks for the responses,eletrical I not very good at,mechanical I do ok.I'll look into the relay.