Am I messing up?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth

Reaction score
I Just installed new bearings, races, and new seals on my boat trailer. Well the outer bearings inside diameter was a tad too small and wouldn't fit the spindle so I re used the old bearing. The old bearing looks brand new so I cleaned it up good and installed it so I could get everything put back together. Both bearings fit the same race fine.

Am I going to be alright doing this? Honestly I could have reused both of the bearings that were already in there but went ahead and got new.

did you repack the bearings with new grease before you installed them, and not use the EZ lube feature of your hubs?

If you did, and there are no pits on the actual individual bearings, you are probably ok

I cleaned and repacked everything by hand with fresh marine grease. I planned on going for a short fishing trip this weekend and checking the hubs and putting a few squirts of grease through the EZ lube system till the grease comes out a little bit.

I was taught by an old man how to pack bearings a pretty neat and fast way - Put your bearings and a bunch of grease in a plastic zip lock bag and squeeze the grease in to the bearings. Move the bearing around and squeeze some more and repeat. It works perfectly and is very easy to do.

I was looking at bearings and stuff again on etrailer.com and seen that there were two different sized bearings that fit the L44610 race. One is L44643 for a 1" spindle and L44649 for a 1/16" spindle. I'm betting the parts guy gave me the L44643 and not the L44649 even though I told him it was a 1 3/8" x 1 1/16" spindle. If only I had known this before I went up there since the smaller bearing didn't have any exposed model numbers that I could see.

It doesn't matter much now really but at least I will know exactly what I need next time I mess with the bearings.

Latest posts