Anchor winch and trolling motor- same battery?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Target

Reaction score
I have a 12v Minn Kota 55lb bow mount and a 12v river Larry anchor winch. I am wondering if I can run these off the same battery or is that a bad idea? I have never used the anchor winch so I have no idea how much juice it will take up.

I think it would be alright unless you are running the anchor winch and motor a lot. I have been using only one battery in my boat for a while so it's my starting battery and trolling motor battery only on days where I have been running the trolling motor a lot has it ever had some hesitation in cranking the engine.

Larry's site says it draws only 13 amps...if you have the model that I found.

Even a 30 lb trolling motor draws 30 amps. Assuming you only use the winch sporadically, I can't see why you'd need another battery for it.

I cannot foresee any situation where you'd have the trolling motor running, and the winch working, at the same time. If you did, you might have an issue.

richg99

Welcome to the home of the “Water Wench” a rock-solid River Larry anchor system,
built for strength, with craftsmanship, and for ease of use.

This is the most reliable boat anchor system available.

• Pinpoint anchor placement can be achieved with ease.
• 10,000 hour continuous run 12-volt motor.
• Draws only 13 amps under full load.
• 3/8" diameter kern mantle rescue rope. (50 ft. max.)
• 8,000 lb. strength with 1.2% water absorption rate.
• Continuous run industrial gearbox with built in pressure relief valve.

Thanks- Rich. I think will start the season with 1 battery and see how it goes.

Latest posts