Another Tracker 1542

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkstarCrashes

Reaction score
Over the winter, I realized I spend more time working on boats than I do fishing. I sold my two fiberglass boats, a motor, a trailer, and got myself a new, simple rig.

I wanted the Alumacraft 1542 but the local dealer rubbed me the wrong way when I went in with cash in hand. I was apprehensive about Tracker, as it's a Bass Pro brand and I work for a large locally owned fishing/hunting store. I went over to check it out though, and after talking awhile liked that they'd give it to me registered, taxed and ready to go for $1050.

I picked up a 1980 25hp Evinrude this fall for $400. The compression is great and it runs like a top. Awesome motor for its age. Only thing is its a long shaft, which a mini-jacker quickly fixed.

Got the galvanized trailer for $100 from someone's (presumably unhappy) ex-wife. One of the wheel bearings is throwing grease, so I think I'm going to go ahead and change the bearings.

So I'm thinking for right around 2 grand I will have an awesome fishing rig.

Going to deck her out, still deciding how I want to do it. I do a lot of saltwater fishing so I think non-skid will be the way to go.

Anyway, took her out last night for the first time in the salt. She flew with the 25.

003-14.jpg

007-6.jpg

010-6.jpg

008-10.jpg

011-6-2.jpg

I really like my 1542. Its a great size for a jon boat. 1436 is just a little too skinny, and a 1648 is too big to get back in the tight spots. I do wish there were more companies making 1548's though.

Nothing like a simple jon boat and a 2 stroke 25hp motor. Sounds like you got some great deals.

I'm really liking the size of this boat as well. I was fishing an inlet last night but I ran out into the big water to check some pilings and it handled pretty rough chop very well. Two guys standing up fly fishing was no issue at all.

And yes, fly fishing for striped bass is just about my favorite thing in the world. :D

I have decided the first thing I will do is turn the factory livewell into a lock box. I want to take the actual livewell and foam out of the middle bench and install some sort of lock on the latch. The foam will be made up for when I deck.

Congrats on the boat/trailer/motor. I've had my Tracker 1542 for a year and have no complaints at all. Looking forward to seeing your mods.