Any homebrewers?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:USA1: I started with a MR.BEER. It got me hooked. After 20 years I can make 5 gal. of dark for less. And it taste lots better, 10% alcohol. I think Moon Shine is next after all I am from the hills of Ky. :lol:

Sounds like a plan.

However home brewing liquor is illegal due to teh hazards of the brew process. Beer, wine, and mead are legal to brew.

kycolonel138th said:
:USA1: I started with a MR.BEER. It got me hooked. After 20 years I can make 5 gal. of dark for less. And it taste lots better, 10% alcohol. I think Moon Shine is next after all I am from the hills of Ky. :lol:

It's definitely addicting. I usually save money each batch vs. buying from the store, but I honestly don't pay attention to that anymore. I'm more focused on making good beer that when I drink it say to myself "I can't believe I made beer that good".

rW3APIa2kUO_hT-As8dEug2.jpg

I guess you could say that...lol

Actually my dad use to do it all the time when I was a kid. All I really remember was just how bad the fermenting stunk up the house!

HBT Chris said:
I guess you could say that...lol

Actually my dad use to do it all the time when I was a kid. All I really remember was just how bad the fermenting stunk up the house!

Negatory big dog HBT Chris. That odor is the sweet, sweet smell of beer being made. :mrgreen:
I could think of a ton of other odors less inviting. :beer:

Drinking a home brewed hefeweizen right now. Just bottled an apricot/peach american wheat beer. That one sat on apricot and peach puree in secondary for two weeks. Curious as to how it will turn out. Getting my mashtun prepared for my first lager, I may be brewing this weekend

Nice.

I think I'll be brewing a Pumpkin Spice this weekend. The wife is out of town and my to do list is rather short.
Friday- Company picnic after work. Free food, beer, and a band. :beer:
Saturday- replace both front wheel bearings, radiator flush, oil change in the morning- then DJ a wedding that afternoon/night,
Sunday- Family breakfast, Dig the trenches for our patio foundation 40' long x 15" wide, and 15" deep, laundry, and brew up a batch of beer.

Pretty easy weekend for me.

Hanr3 said:
Nice.

I think I'll be brewing a Pumpkin Spice this weekend. The wife is out of town and my to do list is rather short.
Friday- Company picnic after work. Free food, beer, and a band. :beer:
Saturday- replace both front wheel bearings, radiator flush, oil change in the morning- then DJ a wedding that afternoon/night,
Sunday- Family breakfast, Dig the trenches for our patio foundation 40' long x 15" wide, and 15" deep, laundry, and brew up a batch of beer.

Pretty easy weekend for me.
Sounds like my weekend. I need to put in solenoid pack for the jeep... Went out on me. I'll also be trying to brew a batch and possibly taking the boat out.

Anyone want to setup a home brew trade?

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here.

I've been making beer for a year now. Just started a new batch on the weekend. I bought some kit on sale with the water and sugar already added so you basically add the yeast and you're good to go. Hopefully it turns out. Up in Canada beer is expensive so it saves a ton of money to make it. a 24 here is $43.75, so making 66 bottles for ~$25 isn't a bad deal at all.

Wow Canada beer is expensive!

You guys should check out hopville.com it's a free recipe calculator. You add specific ingredients it'll tell u color, ibu, Og/fg, abv etc. very helpful to those ready to break away from the kits.

Hate to see this thread get buried. Any new homebrewers on here? What have you guys been brewing? I took quite the hiatus from brewing pretty much all summer and through the fall. Spent 99% of my free time getting my boat finished up and ready for waterfowl season. Recently my buddy and I have been brewing 20 gallon batches (that we split) about every 2-3 weeks. Here is my current stockpile of bottled beer. Have another 10 gallons fermenting and another 20 gallons on deck to brew this weekend.

IMG_20140222_133809_zpsjyxkeihl.jpg

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=343950#p343950 said:
bigwave » 21 minutes ago[/url]"]Hey Terp, what would you recommend for a first time brew kit? I want to try to make some red ale or the like?

Hey man. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want. I'd reccommend this starter kit:

https://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits/essential-brewing-starter-kit.html

In addition to the kit the only other things you'd absolutely need would be a brew pot (I'd reccommend an 8 gallon aluminum so you can do full boils), a propane burner, a way to cool your wort after boiling (I made a 50ft copper immersion chiller for about $30) and bottles. I'd suggest you start with extract kits to get a feel for the brew process. Then you can step up to all-grain if you choose (which is even cheaper). Seems like a lot, but after the initial investement you can make craft beers for at least 1/2 the cost of buying at your local liquor store. And it's pretty cool to be able to brew, bottle and eventually drink your own beer

This is a great forum to help get your head wrapped around things as well.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/

You can get ALOT more involved in the process (like I do), but with the above you can make great beer. The main things to focus on are sanitation, quickly cooling your wort after the boil and proper fermentation temperatures. Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help!!!