Anyone else into Sous Vide cooking?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just recently set up a fermentation chamber for my hombrewed beer using a chest freezer, small ceramic heater and an STC-1000 temperature controller. I'm thinking the STC-1000 would be perfect for a project like this. Only $16 and easy to wire up yourself. I just need to see if I have a non-digital crockpot at home. The one my wife cooked some deer roast in yesterday is digital and once cycled on and off the temperature needs reset. I have a bunch of venison tenderloin already vacuum sealed that would be great cooked Sous Vide!!

https://goo.gl/GLG3uj

Keeping it simple tonight with steak and tater but thought you might want to see how it turned out. Ribeye, med rare, 130° for 40 minutes. I cut the slices here with a knife but cut the sliced pieces into bite size pieces easily with just the edge of my fork.

As I was saying, Friday night a buddy calls me up and says the sheriff had a deer with a broken leg and were about to put it down. I grabbed my bone saw and knives and headed out. So tonight's menu was a little impromptu.

Hoisin-Glazed Venison Tenderloin
3 hours @ 145° then brushed on the Hoisin sauce and browned/caramelized on high heat with gas grill.

I will probably revisit this menu at a later date, after I've tried a lot of other things. LoL

Well if you're not squeamish about it, the tenderloin that came out of the cooker the other night made for some mighty fine road kill. :lol: :lol:

Jim said:
How do I sneak a $200 purchase? :LOL2:

I tried to hint a little about how sweet it would be to have a perfectly medium-rare steak cooked easily and about how well Sous Vide cooks fish (my wife loves fish). She told me I was crazy. I'm not one to give up easily though!!

I made fried chicken tonight.

Cooked thighs at 165* for 4 hours, then dunked in egg and buttermilk and rolled in flour.

OWUTkWY.jpg

Looks great, I can never get the coating on my chicken to come out like I want. Yours looks fantastic. I tried some cheap thin cut bone in pork chops last night. Didn't take any pics as I wasn't gonna torture Jim any more. Absolutely the moistest and tenderest chops I've ever cooked. Cooked a NY strip the other night. Just can't say enough about how good the food turns out with this. My biggest fear at this point is that they're gonna discover there is something about it that causes cancer. ROFLMAO :lol: :lol:

JMichael said:
Looks great, I can never get the coating on my chicken to come out like I want. Yours looks fantastic. I tried some cheap thin cut bone in pork chops last night. Didn't take any pics as I wasn't gonna torture Jim any more. Absolutely the moistest and tenderest chops I've ever cooked. Cooked a NY strip the other night. Just can't say enough about how good the food turns out with this. My biggest fear at this point is that they're gonna discover there is something about it that causes cancer. ROFLMAO :lol: :lol:

The key is to add a little of the buttermilk to the flour. Just a splash. Then mix up the flour so its clumpy. This makes clumps on the chicken so you have crunchy and crispy pieces. Then you have to push the chicken against the flour. Cover it in the flour and really pack it on there and push down on it. THEN put it in the fryer.

lugoismad said:
JMichael said:

The key is to add a little of the buttermilk to the flour. Just a splash. Then mix up the flour so its clumpy. This makes clumps on the chicken so you have crunchy and crispy pieces. Then you have to push the chicken against the flour. Cover it in the flour and really pack it on there and push down on it. THEN put it in the fryer.
Never heard of doing it that way, but you can bet I'll be giving it a try the next time I fry chicken. Do you deep fry yours or fry it in a skillet? Thanks

JMichael said:
Do you deep fry yours or fry it in a skillet? Thanks

I actually use a wok.

7J7IfQr.jpg

I have a fry daddy, but for big items like whole thighs or breasts or whole fish fillets, the surface area of the wok works the best.