anyone here hunt deer/make jerky?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdan

Reaction score
I had a client of mine a while back on one of my charters who brought some venison jerky and venison burgers. I absolutely loved them and want to get my hands on some more...

IS there anyone here that hunts deer and makes jerky?

its alittle labor intensive but well worth it

most of my bambi turns into jerkey.

wanting to try to learn to make it on a smoker with my next'n. dang i hate cleaning those dehydrators

wanting to try to learn to make it on a smoker with my next'n. dang i hate cleaning those dehydrators[/quote said:
Yeah, it's a real pain. I have one that has four shelves - doesn't hold enough meat for all the time, cutting, marinating and cleaning after wards.... I guess you can buy more shelves if it's not too old to find them... it's one of the round ones, about 12-14" round shelves. I usually don't clean them until I want to use them again. Take up too much room in the dishwasher so I soak them in the sink then scrub them with a pad or brush -- pain in the butt :(

I don't hunt anymore so I can't help you with any dear meat - I get some from some friends every year - the venison jerky is really great :) Sorry to hijack your thread - I'll post a new one about jerky marinades, rubs, etc.

I make all sorts of smoked products here in Illinois. From Venison summer sausage/jerky/brkfst sausage and hams to waterfoul and upland game. The grag about jerky is that you only get back just under 50% of the raw weight. 4#'s meat =2#'s jerky. It's not hard but takes some time. Helps the non-hunter taste how good god's creatures can taste!!

Latest posts