Want to buy a boat but worried

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for the reply’s this is very helpful information. The motor is very old yes. Only 5.5hp and really not even something I want to factor into the equation as I have not intention to use it. Currently the boat and trailer is $1200 or best offer. I am looking to buy here in winter to try and find a good deal and have time to work on it if needed.
I've bought and sold dozens of boats and motors over the last 25 years, If the guy wants $1200 for the package shown he's likely delusional enough that he wouldn't consider the $600-$700 it's really worth. Honestly, even at $600, I think I'd pass. I'd just keep looking and finds something newer and or with better potential to be trouble free for a little while anyway.. FWIW, I gave $1000 for a 14' Grumman fisherman with galvanized trailer and decent running 98' 15 hp merk 2 years back. You should be able to find something similar for similar $. (Especially this time of year.)

Last edited:
I've bought and sold dozens of boats and motors over the last 25 years, If the guy wants $1200 for the package shown he's likely delusional enough that he wouldn't consider the $600-$700 it's really worth. Honestly, even at $600, I think I'd pass. I'd just keep looking and finds something newer and or with better potential to be trouble free for a little while anyway.. FWIW, I gave $1000 for a 14' Grumman fisherman with galvanized trailer and decent running 98' 15 hp merk 2 years back. You should be able to find something similar for similar $. (Especially this time of year.)
Agree with this. I didn’t see the asking price till now. Agree that is steep for that boat. Another route the OP could go is buy boat and motor separately. Lots of nice clean boats available without motors out there. If you find a boat you like but with a motor larger then you want ask them to separate. Lots of decent 10 HP 2 stroke motors availability at around 500$ . I just picked up a 2020 Alumacraft 1542 with 2019 load rite trailer both like new barely used for 1500$. I’ll use it on electric only lakes here but If I powered it with 10HP I’d be in a great boat for around 2000$

I'll warn you that the "V" hulled boats aren't going to ride much better if at all then a Jon boat. Few if any have any actual deadrise, most are just as flat at the stern as a Jon boat. The only thing you may benefit from is if you trim down and haver the bow cut through small waves. Any wave 1' or greater, you will take a pounding as will the bow of your boat.

As others have said, you can alter a 9.9 to make her a 15 but just changing the carb won't do it, there are other small changes you'll need to make, check with a local marine mechanic.

I'll add that certain motors only need the carb to go from 9.9 to 15, but many also need a diff exhaust tube, tuner maybe it's called? Plus spacers for the reeds I think. No experience, just what I read. I could be wrong.

Last summer I began the season with the Aluma 14' and also a MirroCraft Deep 14." Same length, but the Mirro "seems" a whole lot bigger. Unless you're taking the whole neighborhood along or going out to sea in it, I think the Mirro 14 is plenty of fishing boat for most people.

As for pricing, bought the Mirro in season for $1500 with a Fastwin 18 on the back. I'd say this was top buck for the rig, but she did come down from $1700 anyway. I'd not have paid so much except it came with tons and tons of accessories. Probably worth another thousand bucks.

Attachments

• Mirro Craft 06.jpg
    Mirro Craft 06.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Mirro Craft 07.jpg
    Mirro Craft 07.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'll add that certain motors only need the carb to go from 9.9 to 15, but many also need a diff exhaust tube, tuner maybe it's called? Plus spacers for the reeds I think. No experience, just what I read. I could be wrong.

Last summer I began the season with the Aluma 14' and also a MirroCraft Deep 14." Same length, but the Mirro "seems" a whole lot bigger. Unless you're taking the whole neighborhood along or going out to sea in it, I think the Mirro 14 is plenty of fishing boat for most people.

As for pricing, bought the Mirro in season for $1500 with a Fastwin 18 on the back. I'd say this was top buck for the rig, but she did come down from $1700 anyway. I'd not have paid so much accept it came with tons and tons of accessories. Probably worth another thousand bucks.
Very cool, as I had rhe same outfit in 1964, same motor but the green colored Mirro. Lots of good memories there, we even skied behind it, great boat !!

Thanks, I like it a lot. Now I have a dilemma. I bought another boat and may have to let it go. The wife is pretty understanding, but I generally get rid of stuff before getting more and right now I got 2 1/2 boats I'm messing with. Something has to go. :-(

I'll warn you that the "V" hulled boats aren't going to ride much better if at all then a Jon boat. Few if any have any actual deadrise, most are just as flat at the stern as a Jon boat. The only thing you may benefit from is if you trim down and haver the bow cut through small waves. Any wave 1' or greater, you will take a pounding as will the bow of your boat.

As others have said, you can alter a 9.9 to make her a 15 but just changing the carb won't do it, there are other small changes you'll need to make, check with a local marine mechanic.

While I will agree that it will still be a rough ride, the tall gunnels and pointed nose make a big difference in lessening the chance of stuffing the bow and keeping spray off of the operator (also out of the bilge). Even if you're taking a beating, a heavy chop is much more pleasant with a V hull of any sort vs. a flat bottom.

I have never been in a smaller tin boat that actually rode well, they are too light and bob around like a cork no matter the hull design.

I had a 14' Starcraft V hull with an upgraded 9.9 to 15 hp Evinrude. Bought new in 1994, dealer ordered the carb upgrade and walked me thru the changeover after warranty expired. Big difference in performance, just a carb change and some minor carb adjustments and I now had a 15 hp. Used this boat in Lake Erie for about four years. Tried to stay in 1 ft or less forecasts but did get stuck comming in in two foot chop a few times. Not a smooth ride but we had no issues other than lots of spray. Far better than any flat bottom boat for sure ! The 9.9 version would get me about 18 mph and the 15 hp version got me just 24 mpg in ideal conditions !! Moved to a 16' Starcraft but not the wide, deep version so I didn't gain much.

I have a very similar craft. 1967 alumacraft 14 foot FD model. Has the same decals on the sides. I have made a few mods to my little tiny mostly with wood so a bit of weight has been added. It does make a difference in speed. I have a 2021 Mercury 9.9 , when boat was stock I was able to get 20 mph with just me in boat. Shot bow way up in the air so much it was hard to see around.With my mods I get 17 upstream and into the wind. Planes out at 12 mph. While it may rock in heavy wake from and waves, it has never taken on water from the sudden dip as it passes over the wave. Slow down and ride the waves at an angle. Does great in skinny water also.

Wow - these replies have been absolutely stellar. Again those that have taken the time to respond I have read every word and am taking it all in.

Just thought I would send you a couple of pics of my humble mods. might give you some ideas. what you may like and what you don't like.
For a little tinny, the boat is hard to beat, lake or river. But be mindful, the boat is light and the wind can be bothersome especially when over 15 mph. It is a solid boat.

Attachments

• boat.JPG
    boat.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5424.jpg
    IMG_5424.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0
Just thought I would send you a couple of pics of my humble mods. might give you some ideas. what you may like and what you don't like.
For a little tinny, the boat is hard to beat, lake or river. But be mindful, the boat is light and the wind can be bothersome especially when over 15 mph. It is a solid boat.
Nice job. I don’t get why guys cover the registration numbers on their boats when posting pictures? I mean the numbers are visible to the masses 24/7/365.

Thanks, I like it a lot. Now I have a dilemma. I bought another boat and may have to let it go. The wife is pretty understanding, but I generally get rid of stuff before getting more and right now I got 2 1/2 boats I'm messing with. Something has to go. :-(
I currently have 4 kayaks, 5 canoes, 5 aluminum boats and 6 outboards at present. That's light for me. I buy and sell on a whim and actually enjoy the tinkering more than the using. When the wife got riled some 30 years back I explained that it was a harmless hobby that made some extra cash now and then. She's grown smart enough to know that all men are going to chase something, this is better than a redhead on a bar stool. To remind her, I'll come in and throw a pile of cash on the table now and then and say I made it on a boat/motor deal. I then tell her we are going out to dinner. I haven't heard a (boat related) gripe out of her for 25 years now. Pays to dig in early! ;):)

I currently have 4 kayaks, 5 canoes, 5 aluminum boats and 6 outboards at present. That's light for me. I buy and sell on a whim and actually enjoy the tinkering more than the using. When the wife got riled some 30 years back I explained that it was a harmless hobby that made some extra cash now and then. She's grown smart enough to know that all men are going to chase something, this is better than a redhead on a bar stool. To remind her, I'll come in and throw a pile of cash on the table now and then and say I made it on a boat/motor deal. I then tell her we are going out to dinner. I haven't heard a (boat related) gripe out of her for 25 years now. Pays to dig in early! ;):)

I apologize WeeHooker
I just showed my wife this post you made as a representation that I am not as bad as this guy..........

Unfortunately she wouldn't support my wanting to drag home another Boat.

You guys are funny. I've turned into a bit of a boat flipper myself. Not on purpose mind you. I just buy a boat to fix up and then find one already done for next to nothing and can't pass it up. So something has to go and since I buy off season and sell during, I come out a few bucks ahead. If factored in all the piddly stuff I spend money on though I'm not so sure I'm really that much ahead, but it gives me something interesting to do.

I, too, have bought and sold for many years. I did it as a way to upgrade boats without paying much.

I had a Grady White I was making payments on. I sold it, and had $4k left over after payoff. I realized I wanted a boat, but didn't want to get into debt again. So I looked around and found a $1,100 Bayliner Trophy on Craigslist. Did transom repairs ($600) and upgraded the motor ($2,000) and ran it for a year. Clean boat, but I hated the ride. Sold it for $5,500, giving an $1,800 profit. Not a bad start! I put the $4k back in the bank. I not had an $1,800 boat budget.

Than I found a $400 runabout on Craigslist with a nice 90 HP on the back. I kept the motor, stripped the boat for parts and dumped it for free, and sold the trailer for $550, ($100 profit plus a ton of good stuff) Then I found a sweet 17 Aquasport with no motor for $1,200 and I put that motor on it. That rig cost me a net of $1,100 of my $1,800 - nice! I was still $700 ahead. I ran that boat for the next 2 years. GREAT little boat, by the way.

I sold that boat for $4,500 and and bought my current 22' Offshore center console bay boat for $5,500. Cost me $300 net, minus the sweat equity. I still have that boat 12 years later, and it's still awesome. SO worth it, and I got to have fun fishing the whole time.

Since then, I have bought and sold many, many boats.

Like you, WeeHooker, my wife complained a little at first. But then she started supporting me. She would track the income and expenditures, keep the books balanced and make sure the taxes were paid. I hate paperwork, so it was really nice having everything handled. This was our primary source of income for years, along with boat repair work, while taking care of sick parents.

Now that the parents are gone, I'm scaling back on buying and selling and going back to construction work. I enjoy it much more. Tired of fixing boats and motors for cheap, whiny customers. My home improvement customers are always thrilled when I'm done.

I still have some inventory left to sell- 3 boats, 5 trailers and about 20 outboard motors, give or take.

My awesome Princecraft 16 is supposed to sell tomorrow. I don't really want to sell that boat, but I have two 16' tin boats, so one has to go. It's a great little boat. Hopefully, the new buyer loves it.

Then I have a 19' CC that needs a floor. I'll probably do that in the spring.

Finally, I have a pontoon that needs a floor, and I'll probably sell that in the spring too. At that point, I'll be out of the boat selling business, at least for awhile. We'll see what the future holds.

Last edited:
You sound like me Thill. I employed the same tactics as a young man in order to have fast muscle cars that I otherwise could not afford. If I listed all the muscle cars I've owned you probably wouldn't believe me. The list of the ones I haven't owned would be much shorter! I have to admit though I grew up on a car lot and had a lot of my own for quite awhile. Also a body shop. These days cars are too complicated and pricey. So I'm doing the same thing with old boats and motors and it's working out just like with cars. Nice thing is you don't need a license to sell boats.