Are the Wal-Mart batteries decent?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chevyrulz said:
it's not abusing the policy, it's using the policy

if they accept my return, then i'm not abusing anything nor am i being dishonest. i'd probably forget to bring it back before the 1yr mark anyway. i have found an old battery in my garage that was a wal-mart battery, it was dead, & rather than charging it, i swapped it for a new one. they didn't ask anything about the battery, they just told me to grab a new one
I disagree. The policy states that it's free replacement for defective batteries. If you knowingly take a good battery in to exchange it just to keep your warranty in effect you are abusing the policy and being dishonest when you tell them there is a problem with the battery. If they accept it without doing any test to verify whether it's defective, the employee allowed it to happen because of their lack of knowledge or just being lazy. But what ever failings the employee may or may not have, that doesn't mean you didn't abuse the policy.

chevyrulz said:
it's not abusing the policy, it's using the policy

if they accept my return, then i'm not abusing anything nor am i being dishonest. i'd probably forget to bring it back before the 1yr mark anyway. i have found an old battery in my garage that was a wal-mart battery, it was dead, & rather than charging it, i swapped it for a new one. they didn't ask anything about the battery, they just told me to grab a new one

It is abuse if there is nothing wrong with the battery. Cut and dry. The policy is there for defects and items that are below standards.

If it was a mom and pop store that activity would put them out of business. We all love to hate wal Mart, and complain how they killed mom and pop store, but the reality is if customers where responsible instead of abusing policies like this - mom and pop stores could actually offer the same

This argument made me think that a better policy would be one similar to the return policy of propane tanks that we have. I think it would be enivronmentally and cost conscious if, say at the end if a year, you could return batteries and pay maybe 1/3 the cost for a fresh one. The old batteries can and SHOULD be recycled, 100%, with nothing going to landfills. In this way, manufacturer, retailer and consumer all share and all benefit. It wouldnt be 'free', but once the initial cost is paid, the replacement cost would be much more bearable by the consumer. Just a thought, as it has worked wonders for propane tanks at least here where I live!

TheMaestro said:
This argument made me think that a better policy would be one similar to the return policy of propane tanks that we have. I think it would be enivronmentally and cost conscious if, say at the end if a year, you could return batteries and pay maybe 1/3 the cost for a fresh one. The old batteries can and SHOULD be recycled, 100%, with nothing going to landfills. In this way, manufacturer, retailer and consumer all share and all benefit. It wouldnt be 'free', but once the initial cost is paid, the replacement cost would be much more bearable by the consumer. Just a thought, as it has worked wonders for propane tanks at least here where I live!
Around here they've turned the 20lb propane exchange program into one of the biggest consumer ripoffs of the century. They're charging around $23 in some places for exchanging a tank. The bulk propane sales facility stopped refilling tanks for individuals so we've resorted to paying for an adapter in order to fill our own 20lb tanks from our bulk tank. We figure the cost to fill them like this is somewhere around $7-$8 now.

JMichael said:
being dishonest when you tell them there is a problem with the battery.
never told wal-mart there was a problem w/ the battery, nor did they ask.

TheMaestro said:
a better policy would be one similar to the return policy of propane tanks that we have.
i agree & the wal-mart policy to not test the battery like an autoparts store is not very smart. apparently, i'm dishonest for realizing this & using it to my advantage

bleumunkie said:
It is abuse if there is nothing wrong with the battery. Cut and dry.
i disagree & wal-mart must too or else they'd not make it policy to accept battery returns the way they do...

for the record, it's not my plan to keep returning my wal-mart battery every 11 months lol, just pointing out that it's possible

sry to derail the thread

chevyrulz said:
best part about em is you only have to buy 1, forever

take it back @ 11 months, get new battery, no questions asked

I guess if someone wanted to keep doing this it would be their prerogative, but posting about it here will just flame-on people to what your doing.

That is a ripoff re the propane tanks! We can still refill here at gas stations and costco, etc. What I meant was when the tank would get rusty/old you could exchange it for a new one (filled) fof about $20. But, in between, at least here you just refil as usual... As for the batteries, I really believe you should be able trade in your old one for a discount on the new one....but maybe thats a pipe dream..

Latest posts