Attaching Cleats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrl5678

Reaction score
I do not want to drill in my hull. Has anyone epoxied cleats to the rail?

It is a Jon boat, it is big and heavy for a 15 foot Jon boat but it is not very heavy. It spends its time on a trailer in a shed. SO not just being pulled constantly by its cleats. mostly for holding a fender while it is sitting next to the ramp dock while I park. Etc.
Jon

If you want to 'glue' the cleats on...scrap off the paint in the exact shape/size of the cleat base and use JB Weld. They'll have to be ground off after that.

The only way glue would stand a chance of holding is if you first fastened a fairly large plate to the cleat, and then glued the plate to the boat so the adhesive has quite a large surface area to adhere to.

Cleats are one thing that doesn't bother me to go full stop and drill some holes for, since they're permanent and unlikely to ever be removed. People can say what they want but with the way aluminum flexes, I don't think any adhesive is a permanent solution. There's a reason why factories weld and rivet boats together.

MrGiggles said:
The only way glue would stand a chance of holding is if you first fastened a fairly large plate to the cleat, and then glued the plate to the boat so the adhesive has quite a large surface area to adhere to.

Cleats are one thing that doesn't bother me to go full stop and drill some holes for, since they're permanent and unlikely to ever be removed. People can say what they want but with the way aluminum flexes, I don't think any adhesive is a permanent solution. There's a reason why factories weld and rivet boats together.

Agree 100% with both comments.

I used T-88 and cabosil to glue a 3" x 6" piece of Cypress to my aluminum transom and screwed the transducer to that - same idea as you, no holes. It worked fine.

Yesterday on the Withlacoochee River, I hit an underwater obstruction in a side channel and it popped the wood off the transom. I don't fault the epoxy - I really hit that thing. Looking at it now, I think it saved me a lot more grief in that I just glued it back on when I got home, it's curing now and boat will be in the water again today - in the salt.

Think of the damage if I'd screwed the transducer to the transom. It would have ripped those screws out, torn up the metal and let water inside the transom.....and likely damaged/ruined an over $300.00 transducer.

Seems a good argument to me for bolting those cleats down.

gogittum said:
I used T-88 and cabosil to glue a 3" x 6" piece of Cypress to my aluminum transom and screwed the transducer to that - same idea as you, no holes. It worked fine.

Yesterday on the Withlacoochee River, I hit an underwater obstruction in a side channel and it popped the wood off the transom. I don't fault the epoxy - I really hit that thing. Looking at it now, I think it saved me a lot more grief in that I just glued it back on when I got home, it's curing now and boat will be in the water again today - in the salt.

Think of the damage if I'd screwed the transducer to the transom. It would have ripped those screws out, torn up the metal and let water inside the transom.....and likely damaged/ruined an over $300.00 transducer.

Seems a good argument to me for bolting those cleats down.

Except these are cleats, above the waterline, and you depend on them to keep your boat where you left it. Not really much of a comparison there IMO.

If the adhesive is good enough to hold a cleat to the dock against a strong current or wind, you'll have to do damage to the boat to remove it - if you ever wanted to. Since it's going to be permanent, just weld it or drill and bolt it. There is usually a reason something becomes the common convention and other things don't.

I agree as well. Cleats should be mechanically fastened. Never heard of any boat builder that would glue on a cleat.

My dad had to swim after our boat when it came loose in a storm.

Never will forget that episode & prefer something that can't fail attaching the boat & dock.

Bolts! With big backer washers and lockwashers! Failed epoxy is what let the panels fall from the tunnel ceiling in Boston and kill that poor woman years ago.
You can't foresee all of the possible circumstances that could have you relying on those cleats. Rafting up, anchoring, towing, etc. If they're positioned properly, you'll never have to move them.
IMHO