Bad news after humminbird update

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinWI

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
My Humminbird helix 9 g4N SI has been working well....not sure why, but I looked up if there were any firmware updates...sure enough there was.
Followed directions. downloaded to micro sd, reset unit to factory default, inserted card. It went through the update and restarted.
I have screens...but that's it now....no returns....just blank.....si/di are blank black and the 2d sonar chirp is white...but blank.
I'm at a loss. .... system status says it update to 2.88 current firmware version and it passed whatever test it does.
I put in a ticket a couple days ago...haven't heard a thing back yet....wondering if anyone else had experienced this?
The old adage...."if it ain't broke, don't fix it" was talking to me before I did it. I should have listened to my conscience.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of the problem and interested in how Humminbird support handles it. So far my experience with their support is good once you finally make contact. They are understaffed and use the high call volume excuse.

I bought a new Helix 7 G3N MEGA SI in February. I installed it and went through the update process to get to 2.88. No issues.

Do you get the startup screen at power-up? If so, can you do a factory reset and start over? (You've probably already tried...)

My experience with Humminbird CS was good. I sent an e-mail with an install question and it was answered promptly.

I'm actually pretty good with technology...unfortunately there are things beyond our control.

I agree with airshot

Across the board (printed circuit boards too), updates can be a problem. Even the latest update on my apple phone annihilated the use of voice to text so I have to wait for the fix in the next update.

It isn't just software that can be updated, it can include updates to programmable hardware too and if the software isn't written correctly it can permanently incapacitate a programmable integrated circuit (PIC). The damage done to a PIC is generally called bricked as in the device now has the processing power of a brick.

I have seen this frequently with electronic devices of all kinds.

If you can send it back to the company, that's your best plan. It also gives them a good look at how their product is holding up to use by the customer.

Finally, if you choose not to update, the device may just quit and you may get zero support from the dealer.

On older Humminbird products have done many, many, firmware updates. Never a problem. It sounds like you followed the correct procedure.

I have had good results with HB customer support on technical questions. Keep us abreast on what they say and how you make out.

I bought a new Helix 7 G3N MEGA SI in February. I installed it and went through the update process to get to 2.88. No issues.

Do you get the startup screen at power-up? If so, can you do a factory reset and start over? (You've probably already tried...)

My experience with Humminbird CS was good. I sent an e-mail with an install question and it was answered promptly.
I don't know of a factory reset option, but there is restore to factory default.
Which I tried...but of course it stays with current firmware update, so reinstalling card does nothing....just says you're updated to current version. No update necessary.

I did hear back from humminbird this morning....and of course their first reply is to check all the cables to look for damage, proper connection, etc....frustrating first response....I mean it worked perfect right before the update.

I’d step through all the parameters and verify nothing was changed. Does it recognize your transducer? Do you hear any light “snap, snap” sound that would indicate that it is pinging?

While the newer units have a different sonar pin out, it still worth checking for pushed or bent pins. It may just not be fully seated.

I’d step through all the parameters and verify nothing was changed. Does it recognize your transducer? Do you hear any light “snap, snap” sound that would indicate that it is pinging?

While the newer units have a different sonar pin out, it still worth checking for pushed or bent pins. It may just not be fully seated.
yep...I can here the telltale snap snap snap on the ducer.
The other networked unit works fine....it actually isn't a si/di but is networked to my 9 and I can see the si/di on that screen...so clearly the problem is in the display firmware of the Helix 9.

Last edited:
Humminbird is being very frustrating right now ..... they want all the information on my other unit it's networked to (wasn't on or connected during the update)...and all that's doing is wasting time to get it fixed because their replies take a day or so to respond.... ugh.
She said....I can see this unit, but I don't see the IP address of your other unit on the status page. What's the serial number of the other unit?
There is no IP because the other unit isn't on...duh! concentrate on this unit please.

I guess things have changed since some of you just send the unit in to have the units updated...She won't file a repair ticket to send it in until the problem fully diagnosed. I even said I'd pay.

I guess things have changed since some of you just send the unit in to have the units updated...She won't file a repair ticket to send it in until the problem fully diagnosed. I even said I'd pay.
I feel your pain. They hosed your unit with a bad update and now you are spinning you wheels with their processes.

It sounds like you are using email support. Although the call hold time is long the automated system finally gives a callback option and they do callback within a couple of hours. The person will stay on the phone while you walk through the various things on their checklist. Maybe that’s not possible for you but, I work from home so it wasn’t a big deal for me.

Agree, that the phone support will be better for your more interactive problem, if you can do that.

IMO, it is very unlikely that this issue is in the S/W load. It is too gross of a problem that they should have found it testing, and if not, there would be many, many calls to CS that it would have been pulled by now.

Back in the day, when HB was just bringing out consumer SI, there were new S/W loads about every month. New features and bug fixes. They did have some problems with parameters, especially when new ones were added to support new features.

Hoping that get it resolved quickly for you. Hopefully via phone or email support, such that you are not down for weeks waiting for the unit to come back.

So...just to give a quick update..
I called CS and spoke to staff. They asked the same questions..and then sent me another email with procedures....so I am back in the email que. Sigh.

Anyway...I took my head off the back and connected to my Terrova transducer up front.....and it worked.
So, somehow the firmware update fried my transducer....$375. Bought it last year...I found others online that had the same issue after update.

I'll post more after I learn more.

Welp....I learned something.
1. I'm ignorant.
2. A US2 transducer and a humminbird transducer are different technologies.
So....the front humminbird unit which uses the Minnkota Terrova US2 transducer to read sonar, uses the rear unit for SI/DI display. I know that and set it up this way. So when I installed the rear unit on the front, it displayed the sonar like normal...which told me it's a rear transducer issue.
However, my assumption was incorrect. The US2 Transducer does not require the unit to be submerged in H20 to function and show a display. The rear humminbird transducer does require it to be submerged.
So when I was sitting with the boat in my driveway after the update and the sonar displayed on the front but not on the back, it seemed logical to me to assume the rear had an issue.
Today I finally got my boat on the water.....the rear unit worked perfectly.
I had NO idea Humminbird new transducers didn't work or show a display out of water....my old 567i one did and the US2 transducer on the Terrova did.....
Welp...lesson learned and I owe Humminbird an apology.

Good to hear that you're back in operation.

I spend some time every now on then trying to get better with my Helix 7 G3N, and usually I'm not on the water. I select simulator mode upon startup and then look at the things I want to look at.

Going to be honest....I bought the electronics more for the use of the guests I rent my boat out to for fishing than myself.
I use the electronics for depth and to find weedlines and structure....but I have yet to see a fish on it.
I've caught a whole lot of fish....but not because of seeing them on the locator. Simulator makes it look easy. ...not really