Badbaggers SeaArk 1872 Modification & Restoration Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I WISH lol, it's NEXT week. Depending on the class scheduled at the COM, it may be on Thursday. Came up with a very ROUGH idea for trolling rod holder.
Basically a ski pole idea and have some rod holders welded up to it. We could mount 4 rod holders or there abouts. Here's what I came up with in about 60 seconds in photoshop. CRUDE I know but just tossing ideas around. I can have something fabbed up locally and send it down for Linex when it's done.

Attachments

• holderidea.jpg
    holderidea.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 730
Badbagger said:
I WISH lol, it's NEXT week. Depending on the class scheduled at the COM, it may be on Thursday. Came up with a very ROUGH idea for trolling rod holder.
Basically a ski pole idea and have some rod holders welded up to it. We could mount 4 rod holders or there abouts. Here's what I came up with in about 60 seconds in photoshop. CRUDE I know but just tossing ideas around. I can have something fabbed up locally and send it down for Linex when it's done.

Hey that works,

No different than attaching them to the legs of a poling platform. I don’t even think you would have to coat it with anything just keep it polished. The contrast looks good.

I don’t think you’re going to be polling the beast around much. So adding a polling platform is probably not in your planes. Not that they are bad to have. I think the setup you posted would work great.

I’m going to fab a small forward facing polling platform for mine. Traditional in one sense but a little different, I like being different. :LOL2: I think the formula is “you can see 10 feet further for every one foot higher you go” It’s going to be one of the last mods I do after the Seadek.

Sounds good Dave... now yet a tiny issue. My TM receptacle on the bow is missing the spring loaded cover plate. So off I go to flea bay and order what I THINK is the proper replacement - WRONG. It came in today. My TM PLUG is a 4" plug with a 4 prong pin. I received a plug that IS 4" complete with the receptacle AND the plug. WAY WAY TO SMALL.

So sending it back is a non-issue. Finding the proper receptacle IS the issue. Photo attached showing what I am referring to.

Hard to read the manufacturer on the OLD plug. I think it reads MG so I figured it was MG Electronics - NO NO NO.... I didn't see anything this large offered by Minn Kota.

Arg...

Attachments

• plug1.jpg
    plug1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 663
  • plug2.jpg
    plug2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 663
Finally getting there and just about done. Spoke to Brian at Linex earlier in the week and the had some set backs. Sandblasting the interior didn't leave them with the finish they were happy with for laying down the Linex. They dropped back and punted and spent 16 hours, yes 16 hours sanding the interior of the hull.
Friday morning they shot primer and once it dried, they shot the Linex 650 on the interior. Also on Friday John from Florida Marine Plastics ran by Linex for me.
He's doing a custom top in black starboard and made the template and he's going to do a door with a stainless handle for the front of the console so the batteries will be out of site and a place to store "stuff" on top of the shelf. He's also making me 2 sets of rod holders like the photo attached from starboard but in black. I just got off the phone with Brian discussing the console. He figured going white would just be too much and suggested doing a color to break it up.
Black to me would just be too much black and he suggested a whisper gray and I've seen it, he says it'll look and I quote "friggen fu**ing awesome" with the black on the top of the console and the black starboard door. The gray is still in the same family color wise and it'll retain the contemporary "clean look" I'm hoping for. They'll shoot the console this afternoon and then the rub rails on Monday and start to put her back together. Kevin from KTM Canvas will be putting the top on Tuesday or Wednesday and Thursday morning at about 3a.m., I'm heading south to pick her up.

With that, here's a couple of photos of the boat, console template and rod holders. I photoshopped the Snook in just for fun but it'll look kinda sorta like that.
They are going to paint the stainless hatch hinges since they cannot be Linexed and a few other odds and ends. Remount the console etc and put her back into one piece. Considering the work they are doing and the time they've put into doing the boat, it's a reasonable price. All in all with the cost of the Linex and what I paid for the hull and fabrication, I'm still under the book value on the hull alone and these changes have added a lot of value to the boat.

So far, so good.

Attachments

• consoletop.jpg
    consoletop.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 692
  • sideview.jpg
    sideview.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 692
  • linex.jpg
    linex.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 692
That looks fantastic. I am going to set up camp in YOUR driveway when I come to fl next! LOL

Just an update on the trolling rod holder situation. A member I got with on tht dot com is a hell of a welder and he's going to make me a rod holder like this for the Ark but with 4 rod holders and I'll either leave it anodized or powder coat it in white. A GREAT price as well, $200.

Since I went with the Whisper Gray console, I've decided to swap out to a matching seat and will be using the same exact seats but just different color. Bought them on Amazon and I can't return them since it was 35 days ago and they MUST be returned in 30 days. I am NOT pleased. None the less, going to sell them. Really comfortable seats so if you know of anyone looking for a nice seat.. here's a stock photo.

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 637
  • TM_241.jpg
    TM_241.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 637
  • TM_239.jpg
    TM_239.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 637
That rod holder is awesome, I would get it just like the one in the pic, you can never have enough rod holders......I like how the two outside ones flare.....kinda like mini outriggers.

Thanks Kevin, it's pretty sweet indeed. Prolly take your suggestion and never enuff :mrgreen: