Bass boat crash

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty powerfull, this should be shown to all boat owners. We all have seen these speeds and daredevil attempts or been in a boat when a friend has tried this. Life is to short and I would be curious if this was a test from a manufacture. There was no fishing gear in the baot. Glad they man survived. Maybe this is why we have our tins with electric only. :)

Here's the text posted below the video:

We were out filming Greg in his boat when he hit the wave behind the boat at the wrong angle and too fast. Boat speed was around 70 mph. Greg's Life Vest and kill switch SAVED HIS LIFE. He was unconscious for about 10 minutes. As you can see the boat never turned over. Greg suffered a broken collarbone. I'm showing this in hopes that a lot of you Bass Boat Drivers have gotten lazy about putting your Vest on and hooking up your kill switch. All of you have hit a suprise wave from out of nowhere at speeds of 70 mph or more. Don't let this happen to you.

It was better when the comments were enabled. Best one was about the guy's judgement being clouded by a small penis and a large head...

Jamie

I have seen that video a while back and all i could think of was i own a boat that goes 30mph i can't even imagine hitting a wave like that at 70mph,that is nuts.I guess that proves speed isn't everything and he should of used some common sense.He should be able to know that the boat at full throttle is barely touching the water if at all,so hitting a small chop would of done some damage i would think also.Either way that guy is as lucky a person that probally anyone would see to be alive.

Believe it or not, that guy was probably more qualified to run that than most. First of all, it was his personal boat, that he set up, and had run for a while, and he is the owner of a boat shop that primarily does performance mods on the faster bass boats. Given that, he had a significant amount of seat time in a variety of different boats, and therefore probably was/is better able to judge a situation in a given high performance rig. With all that, it goes to show that temporary lapses of judgment, or just plain screw ups happen to the best of folks, so never skimp on the safety gear. What would be the chances of him living if there was no PFD or kill lanyard involved?

Being that skilled, experienced, knowledgeable then I wonder why he would not of put a helmet on . Especially in "testing conditions" I have been on a Cigarette boat in the ocean during calm conditions, very scary stuff.

At 1:40 or so he's fighting the wheel, barely in control on the regular water surface but yet's he's overtaking a boat that sitting in the water with very little angle on the bow. A burble or two and he could have ran over the photo boat. Personally I hope the coast guard or local DNR stopped by the hospital with some paperwork of their own.

In MD you can't have a jet ski within 100' of another boat because fools kept jumping wakes and getting hurt...

Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
At 1:40 or so he's fighting the wheel, barely in control on the regular water surface but yet's he's overtaking a boat that sitting in the water with very little angle on the bow. A burble or two and he could have ran over the photo boat. Personally I hope the coast guard or local DNR stopped by the hospital with some paperwork of their own.

In MD you can't have a jet ski within 100' of another boat because fools kept jumping wakes and getting hurt...

Jamie

And (maybe) experience not withstanding, that was idiotic. Operating at the very edge of safety like that, the driver deserved the outcome he got. The only better outcome might have been to have cleansed the gene pool of one more of nature's mistakes. I don't see any possible defense for that kind of behavior.

the driver was driving the boat PAST the edge of safety he had it way over trimmed and was asking for trouble.

it is good that he survived but I hope he learned his lesson...

I don't want to be mistaken, and sound as if I was condoning his actions/decision. I was trying to use it to encourage the use of PFDs. Reason being, those aware of the whole story knew that based on all the events before the video, he was more than likely competent to run that particular rig, and was aware of most circumstances, and yet, still made a bad decision, or used poor judgment, both of which can happen to any one of us, and I'm sure has happened in one way or another to all of us.

Was he being stupid and careless in that video? Absolutely.

Was he always stupid and careless? Maybe, maybe not. I don't personally know him, so I can't say for sure, but from the rest of the story, his credentials lead me to believe that he had the knowledge on how to properly react in a given situation, and for any one of a number of reasons, he didn't in that instance, and as such, his life was saved by the PFD.

I saw this video a while back and remember thinking what a goober. Its one thing to know your limitations when it comes to your ability but to push carelessly past them is not smart. I have never understood what the reason of a fishing boat to go that fast truly is. I really annoys the crap out of me when one of the knuckle-heads blows by you. It just seems kind of pointless.

So that you can spend your day fishing or you can spend your day getting from point a to b to c.

Depending on the water body, bass fishing is non productive this time of year in a slow boat. You have to be able to cover water to hit multiple places and if you can't do that, you may as well stay at home.

That's akin to asking why anyone needs an automobile (or even an airplane) when a bicycle or walking will suffice to get you around.

if you have 4 hours to fish for the day and the productive water is 10 miles away with no closer access it is nice to be able to reach that area in 10 mins as opposed to taking a half hour to reach it.
these boats can be driven at high speeds very safely and are done so everyday just like planes and cars but that never makes the news..
you only see the morons that drive past the boats and conditions limits
i know that guys will say 10 min or a half hour isn't that much difference it was just an example.
some of the water i fish is 40 miles away. I also fish the tidal river here and you need to run and gun all day due to the tide the river changes every half hour if you don't move with it you will get skunked

I'm hearing you, but 60-70 mph, in my humble opinion is a bit much. At 60 mph you are traveling about 90 feet per second. So, if there is a hazard in the water 300 feet ahead of you, under ideal circumstances (paying attention with hand on throttle and the wheel), you will have a little over 3 seconds to react, change course and speed. Not enough for most people. Where as at 40 mph you will have 5 second to react which is a bit more manageable. Again, just my opinion. I personally would hate to "check out" trying to beat some one to my favorite honey hole. But thats just me, I have a lot to live for.

Do you drive 40 mph on the interstate?

Things happen. This guy showed extremely poor judgement in crossing a known boat wake at speed.

This incident falls more along the lines of someone trying to beat an oncoming train to a crossing at 70 mph than being just inherently wrong and dangerous to drive an automobile at 70 mph, imo.

I have had a few "moments of clarity" involving boats. 2 of them in my Triton (one involving a rogue jet ski wave rolling out of a side bay and one involving a sudden head on gust of wind while on full plane) and one of them in my 14' with the 18hp Evinrude (it started "chine walking" in a swamp after another head on gust). Boating can be somewhat dangerous, regardless of what you are in. That's why you prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Latest posts