1974 Starcraft V Hull Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xnutty98

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I picked up a 14 foot Starcraft Deep V yesterday. I was told by the seller and verified through my research that a 30HP would be ok on the boat. I got the boat home, put on my 2015 30HP Mercury and the trailer shot up in the air from the weight. I had to have my daughter stand in the front of the boat until I got 90 pounds worth of sandbags to keep it on the ground. My plan was to build the boat out a little. A floor, some hatches, seats, etc. It's pretty bare bones right now. My question is, is it even worth it to do that or is my motor just too big for the boat? I can always give it a paint job, fix it up a bit and make money on reselling it. But I really want it to work and I also want to be safe in it as well. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Welcome to the forums. Starcraft are great boats.

You have verified the 30HP is within spec's. What you describe is an indication your trailer is not properly set up. You need to put 10% to 15% of the rig's weight on at the tongue. Might involve moving the winch post or moving the axle. Might have to extend the tongue to move the boat forward. Worst case (or best depending on your perspective) would be a different trailer. If the transom of the boat hangs way off the back of the trailer you might have room to move it forward.

Welcome to the forums. Starcraft are great boats.

You have verified the 30HP is within spec's. What you describe is an indication your trailer is not properly set up. You need to put 10% to 15% of the rig's weight on at the tongue. Might involve moving the winch post or moving the axle. Might have to extend the tongue to move the boat forward. Worst case (or best depending on your perspective) would be a different trailer. If the transom of the boat hangs way off the back of the trailer you might have room to move it forward.
Thank you for the answer. I know this one might be hard to answer without actually seeing anything but do you think it's safe to operate like the way I have it? I'm coming from a 16 foot fiberglass boat and this is VERY different. I expected a change because of the weight difference but this is pretty drastic. Maybe I just have to get used to it? Had it in the water and it wasn't nearly as bad when it comes to the engine. I probably had 5 inches on the transom which was similar to my fiberglass boat. It got on plane well with the wind at my back but was all over the place with the wind in my face. I just want to make sure it's safe to operate.

As LDUBS said, you have a trailer or trailer set-up issue.

What is the max HP according to the rating plate? I don't think 30HP would be too much. What model is it?

At the risk of being a pain in the neck, I would reinforce towing with no weight on the hitch is dangerous and should be at the top of the list of things to be addressed before the boat is towed. You need 10 to 15 percent of the total weight on the hitch.

That would have nothing to do with how the boat behaves on the water. For light boats weight distribution can make a big difference, even if you are within the max HP rating. Also keep in mind 30-HP four strokes are heavier than 30HP two strokes and that will affect trim. Folks will often move accessories and gear around to better balance the boat when up on plane. Some will relocate the battery forward if there is too much weight aft.

I'm not familiar with your boat but feel safe saying it will be much more "tippy" and have an entirely different feel from your longer and likely heavier glass boat. Something to keep in mind if you do modifications that raise the center of gravity. I'm not sure what you mean by 5" on the transom. 5" draft sounds be reasonable. 5" freeboard would give me pause.

I'm making some assumptions here. Picture of boat on trailer might help folks here give advice.

Edit: Sorry, others responded while I was typing.

At the risk of being a pain in the neck, I would reinforce towing with no weight on the hitch is dangerous and should be at the top of the list of things to be addressed before the boat is towed. You need 10 to 15 percent of the total weight on the hitch.

That would have nothing to do with how the boat behaves on the water. For light boats weight distribution can make a big difference, even if you are within the max HP rating. Also keep in mind 30-HP four strokes are heavier than 30HP two strokes and that will affect trim. Folks will often move accessories and gear around to better balance the boat when up on plane. Some will relocate the battery forward if there is too much weight aft.

I'm not familiar with your boat but feel safe saying it will be much more "tippy" and have an entirely different feel from your longer and likely heavier glass boat. Something to keep in mind if you do modifications that raise the center of gravity. I'm not sure what you mean by 5" on the transom. 5" draft sounds be reasonable. 5" freeboard would give me pause.

I'm making some assumptions here. Picture of boat on trailer might help folks here give advice.

Edit: Sorry, others responded while I was typing.
EA616A48-4C1D-4722-9F16-D8AE28F6A675.jpeg

Attachments

• 1914CF17-6D19-4372-B463-19EA023ADEC8.jpeg
    1914CF17-6D19-4372-B463-19EA023ADEC8.jpeg
    458.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 0C44F147-AD74-497E-9756-E3D95D6A1CF9.jpeg
    0C44F147-AD74-497E-9756-E3D95D6A1CF9.jpeg
    374 KB · Views: 2
Looks like it needs a 4' longer tongue.

Also, being a tiller, the max HP may not be 40 or above. Our 14' Starcraft is rated for a 40HP, but it s a console boat. It doesn't sound like it has major handling problems, outside of a light tinny on plane, headed into the wind.

That trailer is to short! You could get a new 3x3 square tube from your local metal shop and extend it. Move the wench tower ahead. Get longer bunks. Might have to also move the axel to gain some weight

Welcome to tinboats first off.
I have a 89 14` Starcraft Deep V console and the 30hp rating is in keeping with that craft. Your trailer is to short and from what I see the boat doesnt lay on the bunk right. There is daylight between the bunk and boat, which means the angle of the boat in relationship to the trailer is not right as it is set up now. If it were me I would sell the trailer, take the funds and apply it towards a trailer that will service your needs better. Then move on to the boat.

Extending the trailer tongue as mentioned above is not an uncommon thing. You will find posts here in the forums where folks did that. Whether is it practical or a good idea for your set up is beyond my skill set. If it were me, I would also scout around for a used trailer to replace that one. Might find a good deal from someone who just wants to get it out of the yard.

Go on FB or Craigslist and find a $300 trailer that fits the boat. That’s way too short! Maybe sell it as a Jetski trailer

I extended the trailer 48 inches and now it seems a lot better. Now I have to work on bunks where the boat will sit right. My plan with this boat is to fish out of it for maybe a month or two and then sell it. I'm still working on my rehab of my 16 foot fiberglass boat. Needs transom, stringers, deck, paint, etc. and being from NY, I have temp issue with glass. Once that's done, this one is getting sold. So I think as of right now, I have enough to do what I need to do as far as the trailer is concerned. Next I'm going to add a storage hatch up front to hold battery, CG stuff, and anchor. That should help with weight distribution. BTW, I love the aluminum boat. Much less to worry about with maintenance. But the stability for my fishing partner (wife) is a bit of an issue.

And thank you for all the extremely helpful replies.

Latest posts