battery moved to front

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joseph101088

Reaction score
i ran wires to the front of my 12 ft jon boat for better weight distribution. There seems to be a problem because my trolling motor chooses when it works with this setup and when it doesnt. if i disconnect and move battery to back of boat trolling motor works just fine. when i ran it a few months ago i ran brand new ten gauge wire with brand new connectors. im at a loss with electrical things. do i need more amps? thanks in advance.

Dunno, personally, but...

Most suggestions I've read suggest 6 gauge wire. One had the use of jumper cables, with eyelets instead of clamps, as the easiest solution.

Best wishes.

I had a similar issue with my boat. I moved the batteries up front and ran jumper cables to connect the engine start battery to the engine and I couldnt get the engine to turn over consistently. It would click but not keep a steady flow of current to the engine ... I played with every combination of solid connectors to the terminals and the only thing that worked was shorter cables. So I ended up moving the starter battery to the back and keeping the troller+everything else battery in the front (opposite side) to distro the weight a bit more. Now it fires up like a champ and everything works fine.

Latest posts