Battery problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broncoxlt

Reaction score
Every time a charge my deep cycle batteries they boil over it doesnt matter if I use fast charge or slow charge.I have the schumacker 1500 marine charger from walmart. I set it on the charger on standard battery type and 10amp charge because it says do not use the 2amp for large style batteries. They dont loose much water when they boil over neather one needs water. I dont know whats going on. :( thanks

i'm not familiar with that exact charger, but i use a schumaker too.

mine has a switch for standard or deep cycle, i use deep cycle and you should too.

mine has 2,10 or 50amp jump start. i use 2amp and you should too.

batteries do not like to be boiled over, so you may want to have them tested by someplace that knows how to test deep cycle batteries. (probably not your local parts store)

i don't know what your instructions mean by "larger style batteries", but i would not take that to mean deep cycle.

I use the 10% rule.
I read it somewhere that whatever your aH is of your battery,you should not use over 10%(in amps) to charge it.
My batteries are 120 aH and I use 10amp to charge them.The quicker you get them charged again,without breaking the 10% rule the better.Works for me.
You said your batteries are boiling,no matter if you put them on 2 or 10 amps?
Thats bad,sure your charger is putting out the correct amps?
Heat is a major killer of batteries.

Kevin, I think your batteries may be on the blink... batteries usually boil when they have a bad cell and the boiling is caused by fast charging or fast discharging. If you have a specific gravity tester (little tube with different colored balls in it), test each cell... I can almost bet you have a bad cell in your batteries.

Also, make sure you are taking the tops off. I've got that same charger, and I put mine on Standard battery and 2amp. I hardly ever go to 10 unless I just need a quick charge. I like the slow charge and my batteries seem to last a lot longer by charging them at 2amp. The onboard chargers I have each put out 10amps, and my batteries actually seem to be doing a lot better since I have left them plugged up all the time now

The batteries are ever start Maxx 29 the big ones at walmart. my charger has standard, AGM, Gelcell for the battery type. I use to use the 2amp charge but my first charger the same brand and model went bad so I read the book and it says the 2amp in for small lawnmower batteries, 10amp for car,truck,marine, 15amp for large truck batteries. I have used the 15 for a fast charge about 4 times.

don't worry bout what the book says.. mine says the same thing. I had battery problems using that charger on deep cells with 10amp, then swapped out batteries and went to 2amp and I haven't had any problems since

russ010 said:
don't worry bout what the book says.. mine says the same thing. I had battery problems using that charger on deep cells with 10amp, then swapped out batteries and went to 2amp and I haven't had any problems since

Thanks I will have to try that what should I set it on for a fast charge if I need to 10amp/15amp?

put it on 10... it will put it up to 15-16v. It actually takes the charge all the way down, then brings it back up, so it supposedly reconditions it. But I wouldn't put a fast charge on it if I didn't have to, it will kill your batteries off faster with that type of charger

Latest posts