Battery question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Can I use deep cycle trolling battery for all needs on boat including trolling motor, fish finder, bilge and starting? My motor is pull start so running out of battery wouldn't leave me stranded. I have a small boat and am looking to eliminate one of two batteries.. I usually don't stay on water long enough to run out deep cycle battery. Fish finder is only on when trolling and I may use electric start 3-5 times per trip.. Again, I can pull start tho.

That's what I am doing for my current project. I don't want to carry the weight of a 2nd battery. If I get interferance on sonar, will have to use a seperate, small battery for it.

So I guess there is nothing wrong with it just using the battery and less trolling time.

Do u know how much battery is used when starting a new 15 hp Merc?

Only thing I'd be worried about would be noise from the trolling motor showing up on the fishfinder. You might need a different battery if the FF doesn't have a choke on it, or the noise is just too much.

I have a 20hp electric start and only have one battery that runs everything. So far it hasn't been a problem. I can't currently see my FF when trolling so I don't know about a noise issue. I just install a front FF with the transducer on the TM and running off the same battery. In the driveway I didn't see an issue with noise.

If upon putting it in the water there is noise issue I will probably buy one of those 12v jump start packs and use that to power the front FF, those would come with the battery and a charger for around $50

aeviaanah -

Thanks again for making that bow plate for me, it rocks! You have a 12 Amp output on your motor so I think you would be just fine with a single battery because while your running, it would charge the battery by adding juice. You might also want to get a battery gauge so you can monitor the charge on the battery and take corrective action, like starting the engine, before you ran too low - Chris

Latest posts