Battery Wiring Question?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
Ok, Last night when I was re-hooking up my starting battery, I ran into a problem. There is a wire that has some kind connector block(fuse maybe?) type thing attached to the end of it, which attaches to the battery. Here is a pic of what it looks like....

blockby3.png

Anyways, The blade that attaches to the battery broke, so I either need a new one, or something. I just wasn't even sure what this thing is exactly. So if anyone has any clue, Please let me know. :|

looks like an adapter. does the end of the block go over the batt. post or bolt into it? some have a j-fuse in the middle, but you should be able to see it if its there

Where the "little grey dot" is slides over the "screw-on" post of the battery and the wing-nut tightens over it. That part is what broke....the "tab" that slides over the post.

you should be able to find one simular at an autoparts store. ive seen ones like it at walliworld too in the "boom boom" speaker section

SlimeTime said:
Looks like a breaker to me.........

ST

I believe your right...I just found this pic of one......
1020-1030-1040-1050.jpg

Now, Are there a reason it's there, and is there a certain kind(size) that I need to get to replace it? :|

Circuit breaker..,I'm using this one:50 amp..no problems yet(10 times out)
https://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370067648120&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=370051911681&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DDR%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

Heres the peice your looking for:
https://cgi.ebay.ca/Circuit-Breaker-Bracket-2202BP-RED_W0QQitemZ370051911681QQihZ024QQcategoryZ384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Zum said:
Circuit breaker..,I'm using this one:50 amp..no problems yet(10 times out)
https://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370067648120&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=370051911681&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DDR%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

Heres the peice your looking for:
https://cgi.ebay.ca/Circuit-Breaker-Bracket-2202BP-RED_W0QQitemZ370051911681QQihZ024QQcategoryZ384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks Zum! Wonder if I could find this piece anywhere locally? :-k

They not that tough looking.Probably make your own,maybe with a peice of copper pipe smashed flat;drill hole(size 10 I think)for breaker,then different size for battery post.
It's just a connector,may even find one locally.

Zum said:
They not that tough looking.Probably make your own,maybe with a peice of copper pipe smashed flat;drill hole(size 10 I think)for breaker,then different size for battery post.
It's just a connector,may even find one locally.

So it does need to be copper though, right?

Coppers a good conductor,plus it is alittle bendable.
Theres alot of conductors,aluminum being another.
I don't think it has to be copper,don't know for sure though.

You should be able to pick one up at the local auto parts store, be sure you match the amperage. If the other stud holds the flat piece on, do like Zum mentioned, or use a piece of heavy wire with terminal ends, just be sure it's heavey enough to carry the max load of the breaker.

ST

Heres how anal I am, I would go to a marina and get one there since its for your boat, my thinking being boat=marina & car/truck=Auto parts store. Even though they may be the same item, I would feel better knowing it came from the appropiate source. JMO.

I would make sure that that breaker is correctly replaced.It is a safety issue and incorrect replacement may damage your electrically powered equipment.It would get expensive quickly,to have to replace everything powered by battery.

All that stuff came on the boat, I'm just saying thats what I do, doesnt mean its right, doesnt mean its wrong, end of story :wink:

Latest posts