Battery Terminals

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I don't know much about electrical...it's all voodoo to me. lol

I am looking to see if there is such an animal to add extra terminals to my lifepo4 battery.

This is what im going for...

IMG_4760.jpg

This is what I have...

DSC05844.JPG

Is there a name for it? Im not ready to put and panels, fuses etc, just a place to connect my bilge pump if I need it. Easy peasy.

Thanks!

If you're just looking for an "emergency" hookup for a bilge pump only when you need it, then maybe you should outfit the bilge pump wires with battery clamps that you can attach to the battery terminal when needed.
Ya, I did think of that, but the leads on the bilge are 22-16 awg. And the posts on the battery are 10mm. I was hoping to get a set of alligator clips, but either the clip side was to small for the posts, or the wire side was too big for the wires.

IMG_4762.jpg

This is what you want, by Johnny Ray, attaches to your battery and allows you to add extra accessory items.

Just please NEVER use wingnuts on a battery. Loose connections can blow a stator on an OB engine. And always put an internal or external tooth lock washer down on the battery post before adding any other battery item, such as the OB starter leads.

Only $19 with free shipping here: Johnny Ray JR600B Marine Battery Terminals for Salt Water | eBay
2220BEF7-7EE9-471A-8E7A-ABBFDEBA1E02.jpeg

Last edited:
This is what you want, by Johnny Ray, attaches to your battery unless you add extra accessory items.

Just please NEVER use wingnuts on a battery. Loose connections can blow a stator on an OB engine. And always put an internal or external tooth lock washer down on the battery post before adding any other battery item, such as the OB starter leads.

View attachment 115905
Thank you Dale.

My battery has bolts for the terminals and I will use a serrated washer for the fuse block.

This is what you want, by Johnny Ray, attaches to your battery and allows you to add extra accessory items.

Only $19 with free shipping here: Johnny Ray JR600B Marine Battery Terminals for Salt Water | eBay
View attachment 115905
Wing nuts are fine if tightened with tools, not just fingers. I have used them for years, just had a safety inspection and the officer stated that if they could not be loosened by hand they were fine. And yes a lock or star washer can be added to be sure. like anything, there is a right way and a quick get it overwith method. Fact is, all electrical connections must be tight and not with just fingers!!

Wing nuts are fine if tightened with tools, not just fingers. I have used them for years, just had a safety inspection and the officer stated that if they could not be loosened by hand they were fine. And yes a lock or star washer can be added to be sure. like anything, there is a right way and a quick get it overwith method.
Use wing-nuts on a saltwater offshore boat and I A-#1 guarantee you that they WILL loosen up …

Also, the reason for a washer on the stud 1st is because there are NO THREADS at the bottom of a battery post, many times keeping anything connected there loose …

Put the battery in a battery box and strap the box to the seat rather than drilling thru your floor. I would not want the battery setting on the metal due to corrosion issues.
The battery is contained within a plastic box. No metal on the outside 'cept for the battery terminals.

You could glue some Azek or other plastic material to form a barrier the battery box sits in, that’s what I did, albeit on a frp hull.

Agree, use a battery box to contain it.

After seeing this video, I figured I wouldn't need a battery box. Im not anti-battery box mind you, Im just seeing a suspenders + belt situation here. A regular battery in a box I can see cuz it's not waterproof, but this particular battery shouldn't need a box(?)

Start at 2:45 to see it's water-proofness. lol

Thank you Gents!

Last edited:
The battery is contained within a plastic box. No metal on the outside 'cept for the battery terminals.

What @airshot is suggesting is to keep the battery in a battery box then strap the box to the seat. No terminals exposed and Bob's your uncle!

BTW, don't care what kind of battery, I would always use a battery box.