BED LINER IN BOAT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, also, I suppose my one complaint would be that the black does show dirt easy...but it's a fishing boat.

Jdholmes said:
I used the black rustoleum with mine.

There are no issues with adhesion so far...it seems quite hard. I cleaned, sprayed self-etching, then sprayed the bedliner. It took 3-4 cans on my 14 foot. FYI - most economic place to get it was walmart @4.77 a can.

I only used it on the floor.

In regard to fading and losing gloss...the rustoleum doesn't have a gloss to it anyways.

In regards to weight, rustoleum is not going to add any significant weight. The professional bedliners are the ones that have weight.

In regards to heat, I couldn't see it being much hotter than the bare aluminum...which would be hot. ;)

Also...there are boat manufacturers that are coating the interiors with some form of bed liner/traction paint. I have seen them at bass pro.

So far it seems a great way to get a good traction floor economically.
So what would you think is better spray on or just roll on I already bought the roll on but can always take it back?

Boo said:
I can't think of a worst product to put on your boat then bedliner coating except black bedliner coating . Many of the bedliner coatings are very abrasive and down right painful when bare arms and legs are rubbed against the sides of a small boat . All bedliner coatings fade quickly when exposed to sunlight and lose there gloss becoming a not very attractive flat color . As stated above when you go to remove it and most likely you will its a bear of a job . You want the sides of your boat smooth so you can wipe fish guts and everything else off easily . If you want a no slip floor there are much better ways of doing it then bedliner . There is a reason none of the boat manufacturers use that stuff on their boats . For the record if i showed up to go fishing with someone and saw that they had black bedliner on the inside of their boat , i wouldn't go .

I'm not up to date on the bedliner material so I could be a little off on this. The liner in my boat is like a rubber material that is soft to the touch. It has grip to it... I guess like a truck liner.

I have a 2010 Triton 1756 SC that came from the factory with the spray-liner. I couldn't be happier. I serioiusly doubt many guys on here fish more than I do and I'm yet to find anything about it that I don't like. The only thing I have yet to do is fish in the boat with snow. I've done it when the boat decks were frozen from freezing fog on the way to the ramp with ZERO problems slipping.

Bass Pro Shops also sells boat with the spray in liner from the factory. While I have seen their boats at a year old with the liner coming up, I've yet to see a Triton do it. I would bet if you do some more checking you will also find that there are other boat makers that do this also.

I have a 2007 Triton 1650SC with the same type of sprayed-in liner. It's much different than typical truck bed liner, it has a softer texture, it's not as abrasive as regular liner.

Also, despite being realtree camo color, it doesn't get extremely hot in the summer. Not sure what this stuff is, but it's definitely not your typical truck bed liner.

i look on the Rustoleum web site and they offer spray on bed liner in black and tan.I think i will put on tan on my aluminum floor,i will not put in on the sides just the floor.

Rustoleum has worked great for a fair amount of people on here, if you read through the forum you will see it pops up fairly often.

I don't know that there would be any difference between their roll on and their spray type...I just got the spray for convenience and it was a good price.

Heres some pics it rustoleum bed coating 2 coats turned out alot better than expected.

Attachments

• boat 13.jpg
    boat 13.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 7,134
Question...how would the spray on bedliner work if you sprayed it on 1/2" plywood floor?

Would probably spray both sides and edges with one coat then put second coat on edges and the exposed floor portion that you would walk on.

Whadda ya think :D :D :D

Looks good!! =D>

Regarding it on plywood...I am sure it would seal the wood and give you a nonskid surface. I would put 2 coats on all around. Sounds like a great alternative to coating the boat.

ketchup sandwich said:
Looks good!! =D>

Regarding it on plywood...I am sure it would seal the wood and give you a nonskid surface. I would put 2 coats on all around. Sounds like a great alternative to coating the boat.
Thank you sir, and its dinged up on the bottom you can see some of it but what do you expect from a 60s model boat haha.

ive been tossing this idea around for awhile now. its either this or gluvit. i think i like this because i want to take it up the sides and on my top rail aswell. sounds like i just made my mind up.

I think the commercial bed linner is actually smooth, it's the way that it's applied that gives it the rough texture.

A friend of mine had his truck bed done with Line-X I think and was able to watch the guy do it. He told me that before he stood way back and misted the final coat on it was smooth like paint. I also think the comercial stuff is hot when it's applied.

LIke any paint job it's the prep that makes the big difference on how well it sticks.

cartech5 said:
Heres some pics it rustoleum bed coating 2 coats turned out alot better than expected.

Looks good, but if you ever develop a leak, don't plan on being able to seal it from the inside. Not the end of the world though as there are lots of products that are designed to work on the outside of the hull to seal up leaks as well.

Bigkat650 said:
cartech5 said:

Looks good, but if you ever develop a leak, don't plan on being able to seal it from the inside. Not the end of the world though as there are lots of products that are designed to work on the outside of the hull to seal up leaks as well.

Why do you say that?

Truck bed liner is permanent. If it develops a leak and you have to remove it in order to seal the leak, you have a heck of a job in front of you. Now, it is possible, but it is much, much more difficult to remove then paint... It's more like removing dried adhesive. Doesn't mean you can't seal it fine from the outside though :)

I guess I am a little partial though, as that is my current situation--removing truck bed liner to seal the hull... currently i'm just working on the seams so I can seal that up--and it is a royal pain. If I had access to a sand blaster, it may be a different story, but sadly I do not.

I guess maybe you are referencing commercial bed liner. Mine is really a thin coat - rustoleum rattle can. I can't see any issues with putting a little 5200 right on top if I had too, or taking a scraper to it...

I rolled on the rustoleum kit from walmart on my 12' jon. Seems pretty tough. Not rubbery like the herculiner or the other stuff. My only concern is I had a chip on my boat while working on it today. Could be that some stripper might of got on the exterior side of the boat while working on the interior side during prep. This stuff isn't all that bad, but it goes on pretty thin. I prepped it according to the instructions. I did not primer unfortunately, but I was told I didn't have to. Rolled on 2 coats as well. I'm hoping to have the boat complete this month. All I need to finish is the inside bedlining and decking. Can keep you guys posted if ya like.