Boat cover where are you

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bass427

Reaction score
Need help with boat cover for less than $300. Have 15ft Vhull starcraft. Where can I get one to fit for a reasonable price or would simply a good tarp from Home Depot do?

I've made my own w PVC pipe and a Home Depot or Lowes tarp. The thicker HD silver ones last a few years, better than the thinner ones. MY frame is made of 1.5" sched 40pvc pipe and T fittings w L fittings on the ends of the top. You can also get 1" pvc T's and cut slots out of the top of the tee and put a T on each end after you cut the pipe to size to pop the slotted T's in between the top of the gunnels if you have a round pipe for a gunnel that the cut/slotted T can fit. Cut the pipe longer than the boat is wide, and when you pop the supports into the sides the pipe you bend it so it is bowed up in an arc that will run the water off the tarp, similar to the roof of an old covered wagon. You might need to make 6 or so for a 15'er or about every 2-3 feet. My creation was maybe $50 including the tarp and only the bottom T's are glued so it's easy to pull apart and remove/re-asemble. The 1" you would glue when you find the right length to make your arcs when they are installed.DSCN0279.JPG I might have gone the arced pipe way but my console sticks up to high for the typical arc used on this type of support.

Attachments

• DSCN0145.JPG
    DSCN0145.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,238
A good cover will cost you some cash. A GOOD tarp is a lot cheaper and for years I've used two plastic saw horses one on the front deck and a second on the rear deck.

It also depends if you are planning to trailer the boat with the cover on. I always trailer with a cover, rain or shine because I keep all my gear in the boat and the cover keeps stuff from flying out. If you do trailer, then a properly designed or store bought trailering-specific cover is a must from a safety side. The cover I purchased has been trailered in downpours and on the highway and its never leaked nor has it flew off. I got it on sale here in canada for $100 for the 14-16' size. Theres a link to it on my build (canadian tire).

TheMaestro said:
It also depends if you are planning to trailer the boat with the cover on. I always trailer with a cover, rain or shine because I keep all my gear in the boat and the cover keeps stuff from flying out. If you do trailer, then a properly designed or store bought trailering-specific cover is a must from a safety side. The cover I purchased has been trailered in downpours and on the highway and its never leaked nor has it flew off. I got it on sale here in canada for $100 for the 14-16' size. Theres a link to it on my build (canadian tire).

You gotta be carefull not to put to much weight in a jonboat while trailering. I know a guy who used his newish 16' riveted jonboat like a trailor to haul a bunch of stuff to the coast for a week or 2 of fun and fishing. When he launched the boat it was leaking all over the hull from bouncing on the bunks w way to much weight in it on the 3 hr. trip down there.

I borrowed this idea from someone else on the forum. I buy my plastic tarps at Ace Hardware and also a contractor's supply house as they have better quality tarps than the big box stores.

I use the Bass Pro Travel Tite cover for my jon since it gets heavy sun exposure. I only ever got a little over a year out of any kind of tarp I would use, so I gave up and bought a better quality universal cover. I've had this current cover for two years and the cover material is holding up well except for the nylon strapping cords that have torn in two spots from UV breakdown. Thankfully, it's not a big deal since the nylon strap is stiched in multiple places. It's kept my boat dry on the inside and before I remade my PVC cover supports it would pool up and hold the water like a champ.

https://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Sh...uty-Trailerable-Boat-Covers/product/10205154/

juggernot said:
TheMaestro said:

You gotta be carefull not to put to much weight in a jonboat while trailering. I know a guy who used his newish 16' riveted jonboat like a trailor to haul a bunch of stuff to the coast for a week or 2 of fun and fishing. When he launched the boat it was leaking all over the hull from bouncing on the bunks w way to much weight in it on the 3 hr. trip down there.

Oh, im not talking gold bars or a barbecue, i mean like life jackets, tackle box (i use soft sided), hats, rods.. Much less than my gas tank or battery weighs. Plus, because it requires the trailering straps, prying eyes never see my awesome tinboat mods until it hits the water :mrgreen:

Never trailer with cover on. Only really fish locally. The saw horse and tarp idea seems best for me right now, easiest and cheapest. Thanks!!