Boat Trailer Tire PSI???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, thought you were asking me.

The original trailer that came with my boat had a single spring. Not one per side, just one spring mounted to the axle and trailer. :mrgreen:

Incahiker said:
Thanks for the responses.

The tires on the trailer are 14". Looking in the door on my Tacoma there is a sticker stating the recommended pressure for my tires, and they are no where near the max psi. The max psi for my tacoma tires are 35, but toyota specifically states to run the front tires at 26 psi for the front and 29 psi for the rear for optimum performance and tire life. I went ahead and lowered my trailer tire psi to 25 and it works much better.

In regards to your truck, I would suggest seeing what psi your tires say to go with if they are not factory originals.. EX. My truck sticker says 32 psi, but my tires are max 50 psi

Hanr3 said:
Sorry, thought you were asking me.

The original trailer that came with my boat had a single spring. Not one per side, just one spring mounted to the axle and trailer. :mrgreen:
I had a trailer like that for a sunfish sail boat.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Hanr3 said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
What weight is your trailer rated for? How many leafs are in your springs? What size are the tires?

No idea.

3 per spring

8", although I want 12"
Is that the op's info?
When I first got my trailer it had mono-leaf springs.
By mono-leaf I mean a single leaf per side.

For these boats, only one or two leafs are needed. The more leafs it has the higher the load/weight rating but also with our light setups, the stiffer the suspension will be. Usually 2 leaf spring setups is best for our trailers unless you have a lot of weight (15-25hp motor, full gas tank, 2+ batteries, extra decking, etc), in which case bounce should not be a problem unless you have 3-4 springs.

As for having the motor on it when towing, as long as the rear of the trailer and bunks are within 6-12" of the rear of the boat, the bouncing should not be too much of a problem. It is when you have 2-3 ft from the rear bunk/trailer when it gets to be a problem. Reinforcing the transom should provide more strength in these cases.

If you have the chance, replace 8" tires (which only come in bias ply most places) with 12" radial tires and 2 leaf springs per side. This is something I am planning in the future... That or just buying a slightly longer trailer that already comes with 12" tires which in many cases is cheaper if you have to replace a lots of components (like leaf springs, rims, tires, axle, possibly modifying fenders to take the larger tires).

Thanks for all the replies. My Trailer has 2 leaf springs on each side. It also has 14" radial tires on it. I lowered the pressure to 25 PSI (from 35 PSI) and there is no deformation in the tire and it rides much, much better.

Latest posts