Bon Echo Provincial Park/Mazinaw Lake - Aug. 15-22

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaitCaster

Reaction score
The Baitcaster clan took the annual camping vacation at Bon Echo Provincial Park for a week this year. This was the first time up there for us, but we had heard many reports of how magnificent this place is. We were not dissapointed. The park is beautiful. The most notable feature is the huge rock face on the upper portion of the lake. The rock soars 300 feet above the water and plunges another 300 feet straight down below the water's surface. There are a number of ancient native pictographs painted on the rocks at the water level that you can see by canoe or boat.

IMG_2263.JPG

IMG_2264.JPG

There is a trail that you can take to the top of the rock. The vistas are wonderful. Of course, there are many tales of people plunging to their deaths from the top of the rock, so safety is paramount.

IMG_2306.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2313.JPG

However, if you are crazy enough, you can obtain a permit to climb the rock.

IMG_2315.JPG

IMG_2319.JPG

Fishing on Mazinaw is supposed to be tough, but we did okay. There are two sections. The North section is about 500 feet deep in the middle and is home to mainly cold water species such as trout. The South section is considerably more shallow and holds mainly smallmouth bass, walleye and a smattering of largemouth. With the exception of one large mouth, all of the fish we caught were smallies. We didn't catch a lot, but what we did catch were all quality fish. These were the hardest fighting, most tenacious fish I have ever caught.

IMG_2237.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2248.JPG

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2314.JPG

Johnbass.JPG

All in all, it was a fantastic week. Weather was mainly good but a good storm moved in on our last day of fishing.

IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2328.JPG

I think we will be going back next year!

Chers,
BC

Looks like a great spot,glad you had a good time and caught some nice smallies as well.
Nice pictures.

Nice report, that looks like an awesome place to fish and a really beautiful area. Those are some piggy smallies, I wish the lakes around me were filled with smallies like that.

Oh man, that looks like a fun place to fish, and those are some good lookin smallies!

That said, I think I'd pass out knowing there was 500 feet of water under my Tin.. :lol:

Latest posts