brand new trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboy

Reaction score
first of all i have a minn kota 30# tm and a 14 jon i have been paddling for a while now and want to hook up my trolling motor but dont know how i have a tm battery box and battery i dont know if i need to direct wire or what plz xplain thrnks alot!!

Where do you plan to mount the motor, and where do you plan for the battery to set?

ST

Theres a pos and neg terminal on your battery,make sure you hook them up right.
Can you put your battery up close to your trolling motor so the the wires will attach directly to the battery?
If your battery is not colse and you need to add wire,it will depend on how far you have to go(battery to trolling motor),for the size of the wire you need.Probably around a 8 gauge wire for a 30lbs TM.

my trolling motor is transom mount and battery will be right in the backin a battery box

Guessing by the size of the motor you got, it probably already came with clips on it. Be sure the motor is in the "OFF" position, clip the RED cable to the + (positive) side of the battery and the BLACK one to the - (negative) side. Or it may have came with round eye terminals, which need to go on the post & wingnut usually found on marine batteries.

You need a battery box, they're cheap, to set your battery in. If you plan to leave the battery in the boat while on the road, you need to find a way to strap it down. Might be simpler for you to carry the battery in the vehicle & put it in the boat once you get to the ramp. Still, set it in a way it won't tip-over in the vehicle.

ST

jonboy said:
my trolling motor is transom mount and battery will be right in the backin a battery box
Sounds like your all set.
Should mount your battery box so it won't move around,other than that,put the wires on the right poles and away you go.
Is your battery a deep cycle battery?
Is it all charged up?

this is a cranking battery out of my old boat but will do for now until i have a spare 80 bucks layin around

Latest posts