Briggs & Stratton 5 hp outboard *new purchase

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbw

Reaction score
Found this on the local for sale ads, few Benjamin Franklin's and it is mine.

It had been used once and then stored indoor in a closet :shock: Previous person bought it for a fishing trip then never went fishing again .

Its pretty clean minus a couple of scratches and small pull rope fray that I'll fix tomorrow.

BS5hp_001.jpg

BS5hp_002.jpg

BS5hp_003.jpg

I've already had the engine covers off looking her over.... tomorrow I'll post a start up video. I see one reason why people thing its loud it comes with the el cheapo muffler!

Coming soon to tinboats.net how to make her faster.

DANG IT started the motor then camera battery kicked the bucket, battery is on charge this is the only video I have right now.

I still don't believe its loud like everyone says. It does vibrate but not that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZUlMs5MkQg

PBW - Is that engine water cooled?

IF SO:

Never ever never start the outboard without hooking up a water source!

If you are gonna test it in the driveway, hook a hose up to the intake (if the engine is fitted with an external hookup) or use muffs.

Get a good flow of water going and once started, make certain that the engine is pushing water out the "pee" port.

Also, never run the engine above idle when flushing - you can do some serious damage real fast.

Finally, after you stop the engine keep the water on until the engine is cool

Outboard-Engine-Flushing-Muffs-medium.jpg

Okay that is it for tonight...

I changed the oil to mobile 1 synthetic, it runs great.

Hoping to take her out on Saturday and get a stock mph run.

Also I need some help with props...

I started researching parts for the motor build up I forgot this is the b&s ohv..... Different than my old lawn mower using standard b&s.

The major part is still the exhaust 12 inch pipe will add 3/4 horse at 3600 rpms and 1 horse at 4600 rpms.

Air filter and carb tuning .15 horse at 3600 rpms and .25 horse at 4600 rpms.

Other larger gains are around but its going to take some more time and money....

If I rev the motor faster will I go faster in the water or is the prop set to run best at set RPM on prop?

pbw said:
Also I need some help with props...

I started researching parts for the motor build up I forgot this is the b&s ohv..... Different than my old lawn mower using standard b&s.

The major part is still the exhaust 12 inch pipe will add 3/4 horse at 3600 rpms and 1 horse at 4600 rpms.

Air filter and carb tuning .15 horse at 3600 rpms and .25 horse at 4600 rpms.

Other larger gains are around but its going to take some more time and money....

If I rev the motor faster will I go faster in the water or is the prop set to run best at set RPM on prop?

:beer: :beer: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

pbw said:

Each prop will have a "sweet zone" where it will give you the most speed. There are a number of factors involved, including the shape of your hull, the depth of the prop and trim of the motor. IMHO proper trim and getting your boat on plane will do far more then increasing your motor's RPM alone.

Of course, if your motor is putting out more horses then you can start to run more radical props. You might want to try a SS prop over aluminum or composite if they make one that fits and you want to put out the money.

I had a ss prop on my 15 hp yammy you want too talk about a great hole shot !!! I could get that boat on plane in just under a mile

lol

Wayne

Great find my buddy just sold one like it it worked great for what he did with it let us know how it perform's for you

I just bought one of those and used it for the first time last Friday. It ran great and now I'm trying to figure out the best tilt position for my 14 foot jon. I think I'm running about 12 mph, but am waiting for a friend to bring his gps with us to get a good speed reading. They are a little loud and vibrate your hand off if you run all day, but man they get great gas mileage. Nice purchase.